Passing of Gurnie

Shane Whitlock

According to Facebook our dear friend Gurn has been called home. I haven’t spoke to him in a while, I am saddened to hear of the news. He was a regular on the forum until he got sick for those that did not know him.

Jayin J

I'll always remember Gurn. Fine Man that enjoyed Archery. Got the pleasure of meeting him at one of Big Jim's shoots several years back....

sawtooth

Yep. That was a phone call I did not like. Gurnie was a kind, generous, happy man. I am lucky to call him one of my friends. When I first talked to him I invited him down to go pig hunting with me- I never figured him to show up all the way from Michigan. He did though, and I got to meet that “ ole long haired no count yankee”. We shared some really good times chasing pigs around and shooting pine cones. He was never too busy to talk on the phone and he loved his Bowhunting- like we all do. Everybody who met him liked him immediately. I don’t know that I’ve ever met a better person. Cancer took him too quickly, like it does a lot of folks. RIP ole buddy, I’ll miss talking to you. I’ll see you one of these days.

Attachments

• 53273CF5-E077-4F12-B51B-56B96EF9B7E0.jpeg
    53273CF5-E077-4F12-B51B-56B96EF9B7E0.jpeg
    169.7 KB · Views: 88

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I hate to hear it. I always enjoyed his posts.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Yep. That was a phone call I did not like. Gurnie was a kind, generous, happy man. I am lucky to call him one of my friends. When I first talked to him I invited him down to go pig hunting with me- I never figured him to show up all the way from Michigan. He did though, and I got to meet that “ ole long haired no count yankee”. We shared some really good times chasing pigs around and shooting pine cones. He was never too busy to talk on the phone and he loved his Bowhunting- like we all do. Everybody who met him liked him immediately. I don’t know that I’ve ever met a better person. Cancer took him too quickly, like it does a lot of folks. RIP ole buddy, I’ll miss talking to you. I’ll see you one of these days.

It was a real honor to meet Gurnie when he came down to hunt with you. He will be missed.

lagrangedave

Gone But Not Forgotten
There use to be a video of him shooting in his basement. I too talked with him and I’m very sad to hear this news. Pass easy good friend.

frankwright

I am sorry to hear that. I corresponded with him several times and sent him a Asbell type quiver I made. He really seemed to like it.

I like guns too and recently joined the Marlin Forum and learned Gurnie's brother started that forum and Gurn was a big part of it too.

Last edited:

Jake Allen

Good man, and his passing is sad. He sure had a big southern fan base. One of my favorite posts he made, was about something Dendy said when Gurn came down to hunt hogs; "Ya'll holler in the woods?" Godspeed Gurn.

AllAmerican

Sorry to hear. Didn't know him, but heard a lot of nice things. God bless him and his family. I lost my share to cancer. RIP Gurn

Clipper

Never got to meet Gurnie but I enjoyed his posts. I "friended" him on facebook and enjoyed his posts and pictures there. I would like to think his passing was peaceful but from what I've seen in other cancer patients the last few months of his life were probably pretty tough.

Miguel Cervantes

Jedi Master
Hate hearing this. Always enjoyed reading his hunting adventures and reading his post. Losing too many good folks on here of late.

John Cooper

?Now I Got One A Them Banner Things
Just saw this, RIP brother!!

Gurn was always willing to help anyway he could.