Pastors who have a drink

valkrod

Thoughts on pastors and associate pastors who drink wine or alcohol routinly and feel it is fine.

Being Catholic, I don't see the problem. Obviously, that's if its a drink with a meal, or social drinking without excess. The same sort of standard all of us Christians should hold to, to be moderate in food and drink.
My mom did tell me that my grandfather, a Baptist, didn't drink for the year or two he was a deacon (apparently a rotating position in the Baptist churches?).
Pastors have a leadership and preaching position, as well for Catholics and Orthodox a sacramental role, but otherwise there isn't supposed to be one standard of moral living for the clergy and another for the laity. More people have their eyes on the pastor, but that doesn't give the rest of us an excuse to slack off...

BeerThirty

You should have seen the looks on everyone's face and the ensuing awkward silence at my house last year when we hosted the church Christmas party and I busted out the alcohol. You would have thought I was committing a mortal sin. No one said anything to me, but I suspect that perhaps some were uncomfortable because there were children present as well. I tell you what though... by the end of the night, that punch bowl was empty and those southern Baptist gals were having themselves a good time. :cheers:

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
You should have seen the looks on everyone's face and the ensuing awkward silence at my house last year when we hosted the church Christmas party and I busted out the alcohol. You would have thought I was committing a mortal sin. No one said anything to me, but I suspect that perhaps some were uncomfortable because there were children present as well. I tell you what though... by the end of the night, that punch bowl was empty and those southern Baptist gals were having themselves a good time. :cheers:
Jesus didn't turn the water into 7up at that party.....

Big7

The Oracle
Thoughts on pastors and associate pastors who drink wine or alcohol routinly and feel it is fine.

Why not. Like everyone else. Moderation.
I'm not talking about getting trashed or being a "drunk".

I don't see anything wrong with it.

BeerThirty

Based on my Christian beliefs, I see nothing wrong with a pastor having a drink. As long as it's in moderation, I don't care. I tend to gravitate to Christians who are real, not the fake, holier than thou. And that's why I've only picked churches with real, "average Joe" pastors who enjoy a cold one every now and then.

Kev

I had fellow church members that wouldn’t come to my wedding and some that came and said rude things because I had some beer and wine at my wedding. I don’t see how drinking is the ultimate sin. To me, pretending you are better than others and holding yourself on a pedestal is a sin but That’s not for me to judge.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I had fellow church members that wouldn’t come to my wedding and some that came and said rude things because I had some beer and wine at my wedding. I don’t see how drinking is the ultimate sin. To me, pretending you are better than others and holding yourself on a pedestal is a sin but That’s not for me to judge.
Or holding yourself to be holier than Jesus, or claiming that the bible doesn't say what it does about drinking.

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
We commonly hold socials or dinners before bible study on a week night. Our Pastor often has a glass of wine along with us at dinner before we breakup into study groups.

baddave

:rofl::rofl::rofl:i can get a visual on that

LittleDrummerBoy

What does the Bible say?

Prohibition of alcohol is a man made rule.

Part of Christian liberty is the freedom to reject such prohibitions on food and drink.

mpwarrak

Ok, since everyone is on the same side, let me be the one to stick out my neck. :) The Bible says "Look not upon the wine when it is red..." Proverbs 23.

And it continues to describe a certain kind of wine, one that has turned (fermented). Then it gives a list of reasons to avoid it at all costs.

Now with that in mind, what about wine that is not "red"?

Well, maybe "wine" in the Bible just means "fruit of the vine" or "grape juice", meaning there is a difference between old wine, new wine, wine that is "red" or "gives its color" and wine that isn't.

It's only in our current English language that we think "wine" means fermented.
In Bible times they didn't have refrigeration. So "new wine" was probably fresh grape juice, and "old wine" was probably fermented to some degree.

Jesus turned the water into "new wine", remember? I don't believe Jesus was running around drunk, or He would have been going against Proverbs...

Yes, I don't drink and neither does my pastor. With the big warning in Proverbs, my biggest question would be "Why?"
Why do you drink? If it's for health reasons drink grape juice. Or maybe it's because you want to loosen up and let your eye "behold strange women"?

Ok, I'm ready for the explosions...

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
From a small glass of wine to womanizing in one breath. Judgmental much? Maybe discuss that with your pastor.