Pasture trapping

bubbafowler

Anyone ever set in active cow pastures? I just prepped my 12 traps and the best place to set is an active pasture. I have some empty ones I can set, but they have less sign. He said he's moving the cows the 29th. Should I just set two weeks in an empty pasture then move when this one empty?

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Anyone ever set in active cow pastures? I just prepped my 12 traps and the best place to set is an active pasture. I have some empty ones I can set, but they have less sign. He said he's moving the cows the 29th. Should I just set two weeks in an empty pasture then move when this one empty?
Yes, I have back in the past. You'll get a set messed up every now and then, but I never had much problems.

furtaker

Nosy cattle will stomp your sets. Step down dirt holes will help. Cows don't like to step in holes.

Philbow

Is the fence barbwire or cattle wire? If it is barb wire look for the crossings with coyote hair caught in the barbs. If it is cattle wire (woven fencing) look for holes through or crawl unders the fence along with hair caught in the wire edges.

If it is an electric fence try and find the locations where they can cross without getting shocked.

bubbafowler

Is the fence barbwire or cattle wire? If it is barb wire look for the crossings with coyote hair caught in the barbs. If it is cattle wire (woven fencing) look for holes through or crawl unders the fence along with hair caught in the wire edges.

If it is an electric fence try and find the locations where they can cross without getting shocked.
It's barbed wire and I can see where they cross regularly. What kind of set do I need and how close to fence?

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member

This is solid. ^^ I used to catch a ton of critters at fence crossings just by making blind sets just to one side or the other of the crossing. If it's a tight fit, they may be on their bellies directly under the wire. Just try to avoid the ones that the deer use.

Philbow

Scent posts and/or dirt holes with lure only, 3 per crossing about 10-15 feet from each other. One on each side of the crossing and another slightly out in the pasture. (this is just guessing how I would set it without seeing the location)

bubbafowler

Scent posts and/or dirt holes with lure only, 3 per crossing about 10-15 feet from each other. One on each side of the crossing and another slightly out in the pasture. (this is just guessing how I would set it without seeing the location)
Unfortunately I can only trap cow side. I think i'm gonna go ahead and set and see what happens. I'll keep y'all updated.

bubbafowler

Ok I got 12 set this morning. 4 where the cows aren't, 8 where they are. I tried to set where the cows can't stomp, although they kept trying to follow me around. Most tight on fence bends or corners or in rocky areas where cows don't go. We'll see how it goes and i'll keep updating

Mark K

Banned
Good luck. Hope your cows aren’t as curious as my deer. I can almost guarantee that on a set of 12 that 4-6 will be tripped by deer. Actually quit using fox urine for that reason alone. They still like bobcat and coyote almost just as much. Even sets without urine get a good look.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Good luck. Hope your cows aren’t as curious as my deer. I can almost guarantee that on a set of 12 that 4-6 will be tripped by deer. Actually quit using fox urine for that reason alone. They still like bobcat and coyote almost just as much. Even sets without urine get a good look.
Cows aren't too bad unless they see you set them. Then they just have to come investigate.

Mark K

Banned
I’m going to spray coyote and bobcat urine in every scrape I see next season. Gonna put a couple dirtholes (without traps) in front of all my stands and shoot a shot of the most potent bait/lure I have. Guaranteed deer magnet!!