Patio door install

hipster dufus

Goin to purchase a couple of sliding doors. Pondering installation vs diy. What is the present method of flashing/install? Self stick flashing, etc. onw will b going on a slab basement opening and the other in a deck/ wood sill opening. Both replacing pre existing sliders. 5 ft n 6 ft. Tia

Crakajak

Daily Driveler News Team
Google the Manufacturer of the door.Most have Installation instructions on their website or you tube.

hipster dufus

Been lookin on u tube, some hav self stick flashing , some just caulk. Which would b considered superior?

jallison681

Been lookin on u tube, some hav self stick flashing , some just caulk. Which would b considered superior?

When I was doing remodeling, we installed a lot of Pella windows and doors, and we used both self-sticking flashing, and caulk. The flashing gives you the initial seal to protect the seal plate, and the caulk adds a second layer for a solid weatherproof seal. I would recommend using quality caulk, it can definitely make the difference in a great seal and a good seal. If you’ve got the tools, for installing the door and doing trim work, they’re not terribly hard, but sometimes you run into unexpected issues.

hipster dufus

I will go with the flashing and caulk. Having installed a few in the past, i had to shim out pvc trim boards, install jambs, hard to finf true 5/4 trim. Whatever tools i need would cost considerably less then install. I have always primed any exterior trim before install, no installer would take the time to do that. Ive ways figured i can do as bad a job as a so called pro cheaper.

jallison681

I will go with the flashing and caulk. Having installed a few in the past, i had to shim out pvc trim boards, install jambs, hard to finf true 5/4 trim. Whatever tools i need would cost considerably less then install. I have always primed any exterior trim before install, no installer would take the time to do that. Ive ways figured i can do as bad a job as a so called pro cheaper.

Sounds like you’ve got a pretty jam up plan! Quality materials always makes it easier in my opinion and makes its looks better.