Pay Lakes

GTMODawg

BANNED
The bait shop thread and the question about pay lakes made me think of some of them that I used to fish on the regular.

I mentioned G&B s Lake yesterday in a post. Off Hurt Road in Austell (or Smyrna...there used to not be any real line separating the 2). GBs was FULL of bluegill about the size of your hand and they would tear up a popping bug. Hard to catch on anything else because they were highly pressured but they were a SUCKER for a popping bug or even better a Bates Bee. They could also be enticed with a flat lined cricket if you could get them fed up fat enough to make casting them possible. There were also some nice crappie in that lake, unusual for a lake that size. Also some bass and of course catfish but the bream were the draw for me.

Another one I remember was Flying S Ranch. Again, BIG bream. Flying S was great and the fish could be caught just about any way you wanted to catch them but a nighcrawler, weightless, dropped on the bend of the creek channel was blue bloody murder on BIG bream. It was also a great place to catch them on a fly rod. I don't remember any crappie at Flying S but there were some HUGE bass and lots of 2 pounders. It was a honey hole for 6-8 pound bass in the winter on a craw colored jig fished in the stump rows in the creek channel.

Another was Twin Lakes in Fairburn. BIG place, had a BUNCH of lakes and ponds but 2 really big ones. These lakes produced a lot of fish over the years. Bream and Crappie tended to be small but there were some serious hawgs caught out of several of those lakes over the years. I have personally caught a couple that would push double digits. The truly great thing about Twin Lakes though was the owner allowed me and a bunch of friends, at 9-12 years old, to be dropped off on a Friday morning with a small boat, camping gear and enough food to feed an small army if they liked fried bologna and fish until Daddy came to get us on Sunday evening! They didn't allow this once or twice but anytime we could talk Daddy into taking us! Imagine allowing 3-4 9-12 year old boys the run of a such a spectacular place for 3 days at a time with zero adult supervision to speak of. It was GLORIOUS! We would fish, tell what passed for dirty stories, play pranks on one another and eat enough food to feed a family for a month. There were some characters around that place at times...very popular make out spot for local teens. The things we saw would make a European blush.....it was GREAT!

specialk

cedar grove lakes in fairburn and also browns lake as well.....both covered up in homes and ''progress'' now.....demooneys is still open but is mostly carp tournaments i believe......browns lake had a catfish pond you could catch for 1.25 lb back in the 90's...great place to take a kid....they kept it well stocked....

Meriwether Mike

Cofers Lake off Macland Road in West Cobb was a great lake. My Grandfather caught a 8 lb bass there. Mr Cofer always had a new Cadillac parked by the bait store there. We even camped there a few times. Its all houses now.

Batjack

Cap`n Jack 1313
Flying S is a golf subdivision now. And Lake Lucille on Moon Rd. is the same as Mr. Cofer's and Mr. Canup's on Old Villa Rica Rd., private subdivision lakes. The "Rock" owns the only other good lakes on Old Villa Rica and is raising "pet" bass. Haven't been over towards Cooper's Lake in years, so don't know about it, bout the only pay lake left around here that I know of is Bobby Cole's on McLand Rd. (hwy. #360) near the Cobb / Paulding Co. Line and last time I went by there he had "Lake Closed" signs everywhere. Don't know if that's from it being winter (never saw them before) or because they're widening the road there or if something happened to him. Not even sure if G.B's is still open, it was closed for a while back some years ago.

little rascal

Yep all those pay lakes sold out and became subdivisions and golf courses! I miss Brown's lake bad, they had the the pay ponds up front and the stocked lakes below. Caught a many a bluegill, bass and catfish before they quit. Remember the fish raceways that ran around their house.

hawkeye123

12 Oaks in Hampton..caught a 8.10 lb bass there when I was bout 21-22..had pic of me holding it on the wall , Demooneys in Fairburn , Shamrock in Jonesboro..think it still has state record bluegill, Luckys in Jonesboro, Starrs Mill in Fayetteville , used to catch big jacks there where creek opens up in the lily pads

westcobbdog

Cofers Lake off Macland Road in West Cobb was a great lake. My Grandfather caught a 8 lb bass there. Mr Cofer always had a new Cadillac parked by the bait store there. We even camped there a few times. Its all houses now.
shoot also on Macland was a sweet gun store in a ranch style home, near Macland and barrett Pkwy today.
Flying S was a favorite and a solid bass lake now in a neighborhood in D Ville.

Batjack

Cap`n Jack 1313
on Macland was a sweet gun store in a ranch style home, near Macland and barrett Pkwy today.
Mr. Myers was one of the best gunsmiths around back then too. IF he couldn't find the part... he made it... generally better than the original.

Batjack

Cap`n Jack 1313
Daddy had to pull out the credit card on my first trip there back in the 70's ....lol.....i felt the sting when i took my son in the 90's......
Nothing like a pay by the pound lake to make one realize just how big a 5lb. catfish is in a kid's eyes.

GTMODawg

BANNED
Flying S is a golf subdivision now. And Lake Lucille on Moon Rd. is the same as Mr. Cofer's and Mr. Canup's on Old Villa Rica Rd., private subdivision lakes. The "Rock" owns the only other good lakes on Old Villa Rica and is raising "pet" bass. Haven't been over towards Cooper's Lake in years, so don't know about it, bout the only pay lake left around here that I know of is Bobby Cole's on McLand Rd. (hwy. #360) near the Cobb / Paulding Co. Line and last time I went by there he had "Lake Closed" signs everywhere. Don't know if that's from it being winter (never saw them before) or because they're widening the road there or if something happened to him. Not even sure if G.B's is still open, it was closed for a while back some years ago.

When flying s was being developed it was rumored to be part of the plan to keep it open to the public. Of course it never happened. We thought about buying in there at one time to have access but weren’t living anywhere close by so it wasn’t practical other than a rental property. I’d almost bet that the bream have become stunted with less pressure unless people are keeping their numbers down.

Batjack

Cap`n Jack 1313
When flying s was being developed it was rumored to be part of the plan to keep it open to the public. Of course it never happened. We thought about buying in there at one time to have access but weren’t living anywhere close by so it wasn’t practical other than a rental property. I’d almost bet that the bream have become stunted with less pressure unless people are keeping their numbers down.
Got a friend that lives there... might as well be a aquarium... ain't no fish in there bigger than 3 fingers. Totally ruint.

GTMODawg

BANNED
Near the end of my regular trips to Flying S there was a family who moved into an old trailer on the place who were running it for the owners. They had a daughter about 6 or so who never met a stranger. For days at a time she would drag a fish someone had given her on stringer like she was walking a dog! Everywhere she went that fish was dragging along behind her. Usually a catfish but sometimes a bass or a bream. This little girl also had a con game going….if you were at the bait shop she’d beg and plead for a coke and a candy bar or chips….whatever she could get you to buy. If you waited and watched her after she thought you were gone she’d put the items back in the cooler or on the shelf! She never ate or drank it. I don’t know if she was given the money or if her parents pocketed it but she was good at it and could easily make $15 or $20 a day on weekends doing it. I mentioned this to a guy once when I saw him paying for her coke and snickers and he laughed and said he had caught her also and never said a word. That made at least 2 of us. She was hard to refuse….about 3 feet tall, long tangled brown hair and big brown eyes, covered in mud and lord knows what….she was adorable and I’d bet that more than a few hard hearted old men fell for her con knowingly. I’ve often wonder what became of her. If she worked that on her own she’s probably a preacher or a politician or sells used cars LOL.

GTMODawg

BANNED
Got a friend that lives there... might as well be a aquarium... ain't no fish in there bigger than 3 fingers. Totally ruint.

Man what a shame. That lake was heavily fished but the ecology was in perfect balance back in the day. It was LOADED with healthy fish! Not like the privately managed trophy lakes you hear of but for a body of water that was left to its one devices it was nearly perfect.

GTMODawg

BANNED
Anyone remember Rainbow Ranch?

I do. I took my son a few times. I’d make sure to pinch the barb down and it’s amazing how slippery trout are…..at least 75% of those he would hook would get off before lifting from the water or one of us would drop them while removing the hook. Still never left without some serious lightening of the wallet. Very fun for a kid though

Batjack

Cap`n Jack 1313
Man what a shame. That lake was heavily fished but the ecology was in perfect balance back in the day. It was LOADED with healthy fish! Not like the privately managed trophy lakes you hear of but for a body of water that was left to its one devices it was nearly perfect.
Yep, the only one around to match it is Corley's in Burnt Hickory, and I ain't been able to fish it since I broke up with one of the girls.

GTMODawg

BANNED
I’m surprised no one has mentioned the Brick Ponds in Augusta. I have a love hate relationship with that place. There are some serious nice fish in there and at times they are dumber than a sack of hammers…..and other times they suddenly turn into Rhodes Scholars. It’s also always a mixed bag experience…..there are some STRANGE people there at times and it can be very uncomfortable. The regulars were great but most of them are too old to fish or too dead. I wouldn’t be surprised if that place doesn’t go away soon….either by the state or county making it a park or some kind of industry taking it over. It is one of the most important waterfowl wintering grounds on the east coast….I hope it stays arounf

GTMODawg

BANNED
When I was a kid there were signs on I-75 with a bass jumping advertising “Patrick’s Fishing Paradise - Home of the Worlds Next World Record Bass”. Being who and what I was at 9 that kind of piqued my interest! I dreamed of fishing there some day and my Dad surprised me with a weekend trip! We caught some fish but no world record I’m sorry to say…..but he’s 82 now and we still talk about that trip, world record or not.

Patrick’s is now a PFA and from what I’m told has some good fishing yet. It’s good to know a kid and his dad may be there today making memories….and maybe catching that world record!

GTMODawg

BANNED
Yep, the only one around to match it is Corley's in Burnt Hickory, and I ain't been able to fish it since I broke up with one of the girls.

When I was a kid there were hundred of small lakes and ponds in Paulding and Douglas and Carrol Counties that weren’t pat lakes but whoever owned them allowed fishing. They were very numerous. If you had a 4 wd truck you couldn’t have fished them all in 10 years. Some were not very good but some were VERY good. I’d bet all of those lakes have had an application of subdivided track house applied and are now mere images of their former selves.