Peach trees

Mackie889

Hi everyone. Was wanting to cut down on the area of lawn (2-1/2 acres) that I have to mow. One of my ideas was to plant a small peach orchard, maybe 10 trees or so. Can you suggest a good type of peach tree for SW Ga, and where I might be able to buy them? Are they difficult to grow and get them to produce? Thanks in advance for any help!

ucfireman

Cant help but, I hear they have to be sprayed 2-3 times a season. For fungus and bugs.
I have tried to plant probably 60+ over the past 3-5 years, I don't water so they have to fend for themselves. Most were bareroot and a few potted. All but 2 have died.
I'm done with peaches. Almost same experience with apples.
Pears all lived and so have most plums. Go figure.

Kootie

I planted some (4) Elberta peaches with little to no care and they have done well for two years. We actually got several peaches this year off of one tree. Like them well enough to order some more....got them from the Morgan County 4-H annual sale.

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
I believe that keeping the peach trees sprayed, pruned, staked and harvested would be a lot more work than the mowing.

and you will have to mow around the trees anyway

westcobbdog

I had one peach tree at my last house, with few places to plant it I put it right next to my red brick garage wall and loved the heat / solar radiation from the brick I think. Easily produced hundreds of peaches annually. A purchase from Home Depot and I miss that single tree badly. I watched it close and tried not to put too many chemical applications on it but peaches are attacked constantly by bugs. Growing peaches is a Labor of love.

futbolwest

Google controlling Brown Rot and Plum Curculio on Peaches. 2 -3 sprays will not get you close to controlling or slowing down these pests of peaches. Try spraying every 7 - 10 days from bloom to harvest.

Mr Tom

Spray weekly or more if it rains, otherwise brown rot and curculios will take out most of your crop. Some varieties seem a little more resistant; I am still experimenting.

shdw633

I have a peach tree in Central Florida. It is a strain of tree that is suited for Florida but I don't know the name of it, just look up Florida peaches on the internet for the names of the trees. I spray it once a year and fertilize it 3 times a year, that doesn't take much time. It grew fast and produces a lot of peaches but they are not very big, smaller than a tennis ball but larger than a golf ball. They are tasty though. I don't seem to have the issues noted above as far as rot and all, the biggest issue I have is keeping the squirrels out of the tree when the peaches start ripening up in the spring.

Dbender

I have a peach tree in Central Florida. It is a strain of tree that is suited for Florida but I don't know the name of it, just look up Florida peaches on the internet for the names of the trees. I spray it once a year and fertilize it 3 times a year, that doesn't take much time. It grew fast and produces a lot of peaches but they are not very big, smaller than a tennis ball but larger than a golf ball. They are tasty though. I don't seem to have the issues noted above as far as rot and all, the biggest issue I have is keeping the squirrels out of the tree when the peaches start ripening up in the spring.
You need to thin the peaches if you want them to have any size. Generally thin to about hand width apart.

shdw633

You need to thin the peaches if you want them to have any size. Generally thin to about hand width apart.

Thank you!! Did not know that!!

westcobbdog

Don’t forget to thin them when they are tiny ( don’t wait ) and space the new peaches out a women’s fist distance apart, this should grow you bigger peaches.

shdw633

Don’t forget to thin them when they are tiny ( don’t wait ) and space the new peaches out a women’s fist distance apart, this should grow you bigger peaches.

I didn't realize that you had to do that. I let them grow right next to each other, that would explain why I always have small peaches.