Peat Moss

2dye4

2 in 2 days. When the peat moss is rained on, it settles and the wax paper folds down and there is nothing under the pan.
Sorry I did respond last night, but something was wrong with my phone.

Attachments

• 1F7C633B-40CA-4C45-8EDD-E08C73EAB6C5.jpeg
    1F7C633B-40CA-4C45-8EDD-E08C73EAB6C5.jpeg
    393.7 KB · Views: 11
  • 137B02AE-4933-4C1D-98FD-B9B771028A93.jpeg
    137B02AE-4933-4C1D-98FD-B9B771028A93.jpeg
    360.2 KB · Views: 10

buckpasser

2 in 2 days. When the peat moss is rained on, it settles and the wax paper folds down and there is nothing under the pan.
Sorry I did respond last night, but something was wrong with my phone.

Don’t mean to derail, but what type sets/bait/lure are you hitting on?

buckpasser

I bought a cube of PM today. I’ll use it this week and I’m looking forward to it.

Mike81

I bought a cube of PM today. I’ll use it this week and I’m looking forward to it.
I bought a cube today, and no there was no fertilizer in it, LOL. I sifted peat moss for what seemed like two hours and still have 1/4 bag left. I watched a video on youtube where a guy would sift the bag to get all of the big debris out and put it in the attic without the lid on to dry it out.

Doug B.

I bought a cube today, and no there was no fertilizer in it, LOL. I sifted peat moss for what seemed like two hours and still have 1/4 bag left. I watched a video on youtube where a guy would sift the bag to get all of the big debris out and put it in the attic without the lid on to dry it out.
Wow! If you sifted that much, you may have enough sifted to last you all season!

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
Hey man I just started on here but been trapping a long time. I’m not a savvy guy when it comes to posting things but I’ll help anyone who is helping with predator control. Any advice is better than none.
It says you joined in 2012 , I’ve trapped a few coons and piddled with trapping for years . But never caught or targeted coyotes until 2 years ago . It seemed I was getting as many pictures of coyotes as I was deer and Turkey on my hunting property , and I just felt like I needed to do something to help the animals I love to hunt . I dove right in and these guys on here coached me right along . Caught 14 dumb ones in my first 2 months of trying . Now every time I’m in the woods I’m looking for coyote tracks more than deer or turkey .

2dye4

It says you joined in 2012 , I’ve trapped a few coons and piddled with trapping for years . But never caught or targeted coyotes until 2 years ago . It seemed I was getting as many pictures of coyotes as I was deer and Turkey on my hunting property , and I just felt like I needed to do something to help the animals I love to hunt . I dove right in and these guys on here coached me right along . Caught 14 dumb ones in my first 2 months of trying . Now every time I’m in the woods I’m looking for coyote tracks more than deer or turkey .
Antharper,
I try and catch all predators, but bobcats seem to be the most elusive animal. I’ve only caught 1 which I’m proud of and I see tracks. I’ve ordered some cat specific baits and plan to use them in the fall.

Doug B.

Antharper,
I try and catch all predators, but bobcats seem to be the most elusive animal. I’ve only caught 1 which I’m proud of and I see tracks. I’ve ordered some cat specific baits and plan to use them in the fall.
I catch several cats every season. I do set some specific cat sets just because I have caught cats in these spots over the years. But actually I catch as many or more cats in sets that I have specifically set for coyotes.

What amazes me sometimes is to make a gaudy set for a cat. I'll go all out and block it down pretty tight. Then I go and check it, and yep, there stands a coyote in a trap that all the experts say a coyote wouldn't step in for anything. It don't happen every time but I've had it happen more than once.

Mike81

I just buy mine at Home Depot. It comes packed tight in a block. I take some out and pre-sift it at home and put it in gallon ziploc bags. You can put it in buckets or something. Whatever works for you.

You may not have to worry with freezing temperatures, but here in the mountains the ground freezes most all winter. If I put dirt on my sets my trap would freeze open and it wouldn't go off. It also helps where the ground don't freeze. If you take peat moss and pour water on it you will see that it won't absorb water like dirt does.

I pack peat moss inside and out side the trap jaws. It don't pack too good but if you keep packing it will tighten up good enough. The only place that gives is the pan. Then I sift a very small amount of dirt on top just so it blends in but not enough to freeze and keep the trap from firing.
Do you use a pan cover when packing trap with peat moss?