Peep Rotating

DABAU

So here is my issue/question: I got a new string put on about 3 weeks ago and after getting it home and shooting the peep slowly started to twist pretty bad. After only about 10 shots I had my D-loop at about 90 degrees from straight back in order to correct. I figured it was just string twisting as part of the break in and proceeded to shoot another 100 rounds or so and then took it back to the bow shop and had them adjust the twist on the string to correct. I've now shot probably close to 300 shots and it is gradually starting to twist again. As I shoot during a practice session the twist gets better but if I leave the bow say overnight and start shooting the next morning the first couple shots the peep is twisted almost to the point of not being able to see it. I can adjust the D-loop again to get it to line up but I would prefer the D-loop be as close to straight back as opposed to rotated 90 degrees.

Anybody have any idea what is going on here? My accuracy is fine no matter the twist it just is annoying as all get out and I don't want to risk drawing back on a deer and not being able to see the entire peep.

p&y finally

What brand string did you get?

p&y finally

Bow shop makes their own.

I figured thats what you would say.
Go online and buy a good string/cable & have it installed if you dont have a press.
Winners Choice, Vapor Trail, 60X are all good quality and you WILL NOT have any issues with stretching.
60X is doing a special now for 55.00 for string/cable set. Cant beat that!!!

DABAU

I figured thats what you would say.
Go online and buy a good string/cable & have it installed if you dont have a press.
Winners Choice, Vapor Trail, 60X are all good quality and you WILL NOT have any issues with stretching.
60X is doing a special now for 55.00 for string/cable set. Cant beat that!!!

I appreciate the feedback. Frustrating going to a highly recommended shop and getting this kind of results. So is that what is causing the twisting, strings stretching ever so slightly causing twisting? Will it eventually stop stretching to where I could re-tie the peep and correct for good?

p&y finally

I appreciate the feedback. Frustrating going to a highly recommended shop and getting this kind of results. So is that what is causing the twisting, strings stretching ever so slightly causing twisting? Will it eventually stop stretching to where I could re-tie the peep and correct for good?

Yes, as the string stretches/settles it will cause the peep to rotate. Almost any new string will need tweeking after it settles which will be less than 100 shots but nothing like what you described.
If its doing that much moving I seriously doubt it will ever settle into a spot and never move again.
I used to make my own strings and in the learning process I seen bad strings do some crazy things. With cost of matterials and my laziness its much easier to spend 50-70.00 and just buy a set now.

C Cape

Normally a solid built set will have the peep rotate very slightly to the right the first 100 shots or so but once it's settled in you can straighten the peep in the string and that's all it will do. If it's continuing to rotate it's a sign of things to come.

I personally would take the bow back to the shop and tell them you want a new set or your money back.

guesswho

I would follow C Cape's advice. I bought some Winners Choice and once I shot them in, my peep don't move. If it does, it is because I was screwing with something and caused it. My factory elcheapo PSE string never stopped stretching. But that is common on the cheaper bows.

Kris87

A good quality string might move 1/4 turn, or 90 degrees, while its settling, but that's about it. I always put mine in a new set anticipating this settling, and tie my d-loop accordingly. If I do it this way, I don't remember the last time I actually had to take a loop end off one of the cams and try and get it to line up right. Or maybe I'm just lucky. :D

After settling, the peep shouldn't be rotating any if it was built correctly. Mine draw straight back from brace to full draw.

Brian from GA

Someone mentioned having a string on a bow that has been on a while and then began to move.... This might be a torn strand.

With the materials and techniques available today to build strings I don't think any movement is acceptable. Long solo cam strings are harder than two cams to get no movement but both are doable. I had a set on a Monster for 2 years and pressed the bow only once to install it in that entire time and I shoot a ton of shots.

Maybe they made a mistake and will redo it but I would look for a better string if not.

littlenorth

Top quality bowstrings are usually prestretched before they are sold. If you have access to a bow press as an example: if the peep is rotating to the right, take a thread from the left side of the peep and place it on the right side. This will rotate the peep back to the left. Depending on how the peep was served in, it may or may not have to be reserved to do this. When a peep is served in, if both top and bottom servings are joined (top served, then using the same serving strand this strand follows in the groove of the peep down to the lower serving section, the peep would have to be reserved in). If the top and bottom serving section is not joined, usually using a bow press to back off the bow string tension, then one strand of the string can be moved to the opposite side of the peep to bring the peep back where it originally was served in. If you continually are having the same problem, do as other suggested, go for a top quality bow string. Good luck.