Pelican 15.5 foot canoe experiences?

oldfella1962

Okay after doing some research I'm leaning toward a small canoe versus a kayak for solo fishing mostly ponds & small lakes. A lot of places carry the Pelican 15.5 feet length canoes made of RAM-X. I had a Coleman square-stern canoe way back in the day made of RAM-X and it was tough as nails. I'll be transporting it on my VW Jetta (lots of videos about cartop loading & transporting). Anyway if anyone can give me their advice on these I'd appreciate it.

Anvil Head

I was looking at the Pelican just the other day (always gotta look). looks pretty stable and well appointed for fishing. Only draw back I could see was width - not going to be easy to paddle compared to a canoe or yak. Looks like it is better suited for electric propulsion since it's prewired with a battery rack in front end. Can't imagine putting a 5 - 7 hp gasser on the stern.

oldfella1962

I was looking at the Pelican just the other day (always gotta look). looks pretty stable and well appointed for fishing. Only draw back I could see was width - not going to be easy to paddle compared to a canoe or yak. Looks like it is better suited for electric propulsion since it's prewired with a battery rack in front end. Can't imagine putting a 5 - 7 hp gasser on the stern.

hmm....not seeing what you mean by "not easy to paddle compared to a canoe" because it is a canoe. Just to clarify I am talking about the 15.5 foot long Pelican canoe. They go for about 500 dollars so I can't complain about the price that's for sure. I do know that RAM-X is durable stuff, even though I don't anticipate encountering many gravel bars or rockpiles in the ponds & small lakes where I'll be fishing.

canoe.jpg

Anvil Head

My bad, was looking at the Pelican fishing yak not the canoe. The yak is somewhat wider than my old Coosa and sitting in the lower seat position seems a bit bargish if you know what I mean. Canoe sits and paddles a whole lot diff for sure.

DSGB

I bought one from Academy years ago before getting a kayak. The material is thin and flexible, but it has held up pretty well. If you look at the bottom picture in your last post, you will see that it has an aluminum pole with black end caps that runs about 3/4 the length down the center. I let a buddy and his girlfriend run it down the Flint one year and you can see a slight wrinkle where the pole starts in the bow. It should be fine for your needs.

Last edited:

oldfella1962

Now I'm finding out that the Pelican has (had?) an issue with poorly engineered seats.
But Old Town canoes have some highly rated canoes that are a bit more expensive but won't break the bank. Either way I'm pumped about getting a canoe relatively soon.

oldfella1962

Keep an eye on craigslist. You can often pick up old town canoes for a bargain

oh good idea! I don't care about scrapes & stains & whatnot - as long as it's functional & safe I'm happy.

Qazaq15

Now I'm finding out that the Pelican has (had?) an issue with poorly engineered seats.
But Old Town canoes have some highly rated canoes that are a bit more expensive but won't break the bank. Either way I'm pumped about getting a canoe relatively soon.

The pelican seats are lousy. The side tabs that attach to the side of the canoe are really thin plastic. I sat down on one too hard earlier this year and broke right through. I had to row home on my knees. I made some brackets with 4"PVC pipe and a heat gun, and its held up so far. It a pretty quick and cheap fix if you can find a pelican canoe for cheap.

oldfella1962

The pelican seats are lousy. The side tabs that attach to the side of the canoe are really thin plastic. I sat down on one too hard earlier this year and broke right through. I had to row home on my knees. I made some brackets with 4"PVC pipe and a heat gun, and its held up so far. It a pretty quick and cheap fix if you can find a pelican canoe for cheap.

Yes these are the kind of seat problems I've been reading about. I'm only 170 pounds
but people even smaller than me broke them like that just from normal use.

GunnSmokeer

I prefer a sit-on-top kayak --with a decent back rest and foot pegs-- over a canoe.
I find the sitting position more comfortable, and my lower center of balance makes my vessel more stable.

bob4fishing

i have the pelican 15.5 i bought new from sports authority years ago for $200. i had actually gone to get some fishing stuff and was walking out of the store and caught it out of the corner of my eye up on the top store shelf went back and it was sold but had one left so i bought it . i have three other boats but my favorite is my pelican , easy to throw in bed of truck and unload at the lake . i usually solo so i turn it around and paddle -troll (i have a 18# thrust water snake motor on it ) and have the rear of the boat in front i also use a kayak paddle when not using the trolling motor. i have outriggers i made using crab floats which allow me to stand when trolling in calm water. i like everything about my pelican but like someone said crappy seats mine broke too but a easy fix .