Pelican Catch 100 First Kayak

JC33

Nice pics... Those hooch redbreasts are pretty little guys! It's definitely the time of year to catch 'em out there...think I need to break out the fly rod and little spiders & poppers and get out there. It's kind of fun catching all the different species out there too... Bream, crappie, bass, chain pickerel, perch, carp, trout!

So how often do you catch trout in that area? I've caught a couple in years past a little further upstream, but not around big creek, or Roswell Rd and on downstream, although I haven't really focused on them in that stretch. Just curious.

weagle

I've always had good luck on trout down to the Island in front of Azalea park. Right around the Roswell rd bridge has always been a particularly good spot. Any further down river and it's mostly been bass, bream, perch, crappie, pickerel.

I don't know what's happened to the Pickerel. I used to catch 1 nearly every trip, and I don't think I've caught a single one in the last year.

JC33

I've always had good luck on trout down to the Island in front of Azalea park. Right around the Roswell rd bridge has always been a particularly good spot. Any further down river and it's mostly been bass, bream, perch, crappie, pickerel.

I don't know what's happened to the Pickerel. I used to catch 1 nearly every trip, and I don't think I've caught a single one in the last year.

Okay, cool...very good to know! That's very interesting about the Pickerel. I used to catch quite a few down in the sloughs just below the Willeo Creek area. Whenever I busted out an inline spinner, mepps or rooster tail, I would normally catch a couple. I don't recall hooking any on flies. It's probably been 3 or 4 years and lately, I've only been targeting bass. It would be interesting to know if the population is declining for some reason.

weagle

Going into my 3rd season with this Kayak and I still am 100% happy with it. Both of my brothers and my nephew also fish from the same Kayak now after trying out mine. The video is from a few weeks ago in Big Creek in Roswell. As you'll see in the video, I don't baby it, dragging it up and down rocky banks. It has plenty of scratches, but the laminated hull is very tough.

IMG_5078 (1).JPG

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

The Original Rooster

Mayor of Spring Hill
I'm shopping for a fishing kayak right now myself. I'm looking at getting a Feelfree Moken 12.5 or maybe a 3waters Big Fish 120. Being that I'm a little over 6 feet and 250, I'm thinking I'll want the extra room. Looks like good times out there to me!

frankwright

Would that Catch 100 be scary if fishing a big lake like West Point? I would try to stay out of boat traffic but you never know!

weagle

I've fished Lanier, Jackson and Sinclair from the Catch 100 and had no problems at all. It's rock solid for me and I'm 6'2" 220lbs. I stay close to the shore and in the back coves, but boat wakes are not a problem.

If I was primarily fishing the big lakes I would go with the 120. It tracks a little better and the increased capacity makes it a better platform for a trolling motor.

RamblinWreck

Nice, dude! (y)

weagle

An update to the Pelican Kayak story. First off I have been 100% satisfied with the Pelican Catch Kayaks. Both the 100 and 120 are tough as nails and great fishing platforms.

Last year I had planned to buy the new Pelican 130HD with the pedal drive to use on the bigger lakes, but I ended up getting a deal on a Catch 120 and added a front mount trolling motor. That worked great for Hollis Lathem and Hard Labor Creek reservoir where I wanted to be able to cover some water quickly without wearing myself out. I'm glad I held off on the 130HD because Pelican had all sorts of issues with the first generation of their pedal drive system.

Last year Pelican came out with a smaller pedal drive boat, the Catch 110HD with a revised pedal drive that resolved the breakage problem they had with the first gen drives.

It looked like just the ticket so I bought one and used it at the end of last summer. Over the winter I have installed a drop in DIY electric motor. As far as I'm concerned if you want a do everything fishing Kayak this the ticket. It's still light weight to drop in and out of steep river banks, but with the option of using the pedal or electric drive you can use it on the large impoundments also.

A buddy of mine is now fishing from the Catch 120 I had and I am using the Catch 100 most of the time and the Catch 110 with the various drives for the larger lakes.

Overall I can 100% recommend the Pelican Catch series of Kayaks, but most of all if you have been contemplating buying a fishing kayak, don't over think it, just do it or you are missing out.

Here's a video of the DIY Watersnake T24 electric motor in action:

" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Bmanbks

Thanks for the reviews. I’m actually looking to move on a Pelican Catch 120 used as my first fishing kayak. I’m 6’5” and figured the ten foot would be to short for me.

weagle

Thanks for the reviews. I’m actually looking to move on a Pelican Catch 120 used as my first fishing kayak. I’m 6’5” and figured the ten foot would be to short for me.
You will be very happy with it. Just FYI, the open area in both the 100 and 120 is about the same. You will have plenty of leg room.

The 100 gets the nod for being lighter and easier to handle, so if you have to put in and take out on some steep banks, put it on the top of a car, or if you mostly fish small ponds or rivers I'd give the nod to the 100.

The 120 has more weight capacity and storage behind the set. I'd give it the advantage if you plan to do any camping excursions, fish on big lakes or inshore saltwater, take a dog or a kid, plus it tracks a little better. If you want to add an electric motor it is also better.

IMHO The 110 HD is the goldilocks of Pelican Catch series, It's just right for all my needs and gives you the option of using the pedal drive or an electric motor or just paddle. On the other hand I think it should be priced below $1000 and not at $1300.

Bottom line is don't over think it. Just get one and get in the game, The only thing you will regret is that you didn't buy one sooner.

weagle

As I've said several times; My only regret with buying this Kayak is that I didn't buy one years ago:

The Pelican Catch 100 is as solid as the day I bought it. The light weight and tough laminated hull make it ideal for sliding down the rocks to get to the river.

I got wet, but had a great time below Morgan Falls last Sunday.

" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

weagle

Best Bass of the day. Just an ounce shy of 3lbs.

" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>