Pellet grills are inferior to charcoal

Browning Slayer

Official Voice Of The Dawgs !
There is a HUGE difference in pellets and wood. Taste.
D173E4E6-C97D-4451-8476-E6DC2D3EA578.jpeg

Tight Lines

I have gas, charcoal, skillet, and had a pellet grill. There is just no comparison in long cooks with lump charcoal and good smoking woods to the pellet and certainly not the gas.

The pellet grill was given to me by a guy who downsized his house and moved into a condo in FL. I used it for a while, and eventually gave it away to deer camp and upgraded the BGE. Hard to beat an Egg, Primo, Joe, etc. with good lump and good smoking woods for flavor...

Nothing wrong with a pellet grill, nothing at all, and easy to use...

When you go someplace like Hard8 in Dallas, you only see them cooking everything over hardwood. And if you've ever been to South America where they do traditional asada it's all hardwood...the best cooked meats I've ever had have come from cooking over hardwood or in a salamander...

Browning Slayer

Nothing wrong with a pellet grill, nothing at all, and easy to use...
^this^

A Masterbuilt is the only one that turns a gravity series into a lump coal smoker. Plug and play. Set it and forget it. They are nothing more than ovens like a pellet grill but so much better.

I've got them all.

And all of my buddies have bought Masterbuilts for everyday cooking over a pellet grill.

B. White

^this^

A Masterbuilt is the only one that turns a gravity series into a lump coal smoker. Plug and play. Set it and forget it. They are nothing more than ovens like a pellet grill but so much better.

I've got them all.

And all of my buddies have bought Masterbuilts for everyday cooking over a pellet grill.

How well do they (or a certain model) hold low temp for smoking sausage and bacon without cooking?

Browning Slayer

Last edited:

Duff

Got the goodie out of my Akorn. Bunch of years of use. I needed a new one and my wife and daughter bought me a new Traeger for Father’s Day.
I like it and it has a great place. As others have said, very very easy to use. I would describe it as an oven with some smoke mixed in. So, I like it but not like I loved my Akorn

I loved my Akorn and will have another. Will be a great combo with the pellet grill.

Also, there was always a peace of mind with the Akron, that I could cook most anything at any time. Even with a power outage, I could grill some groceries ?

Been a bunch of years since we had a 4 or 5 day outage, but still gave me peace