Permanent camping.

lancek742

Is there any permanent camping " clubs" on the GA side of Clarks Hill / Strom Thurman. I have heard several people talk about them here and in other states. I know I'm not the most computer savvy person or the best googler lol, but can't seem to find anything on line. Thanks

Artfuldodger

There used to be some "Member's Only" campgrounds years ago in either Columbia, Mcduffie, or Lincoln County. I worked with a guy whose family were members years ago. Each family had their own permanent camp site.

The only one I can think of now is the Augusta Boating Club in Columbia County. I don't even know if it's still in existence.

Maybe the corp didn't renew a lot of those campgrounds like that's lease.

Waddams

There's places out there that don't show up on the internet. I discovered multiple cabin rental places on and near the lake, near hunting grounds, etc. just by driving around, mainly in Elbert. Then, I figured out that the game processors and owners of local sporting goods shops, boat shops, and a few gas station attendants/owners regularly interacted with people from the places that didn't have internet visibility. They were able to give me lots of contacts for camping and lease options of a bunch of sorts.

And of course instead of joining one, now I'm dumping $$$$ into a home remodel instead. I think I lost the paper I had all that written down anyway, but I'd recommend to call up business owners that interact with people from those places, they can direct you.

Artfuldodger

There's places out there that don't show up on the internet. I discovered multiple cabin rental places on and near the lake, near hunting grounds, etc. just by driving around, mainly in Elbert. Then, I figured out that the game processors and owners of local sporting goods shops, boat shops, and a few gas station attendants/owners regularly interacted with people from the places that didn't have internet visibility. They were able to give me lots of contacts for camping and lease options of a bunch of sorts.

And of course instead of joining one, now I'm dumping $$$$ into a home remodel instead. I think I lost the paper I had all that written down anyway, but I'd recommend to call up business owners that interact with people from those places, they can direct you.
That's a good idea asking around at places like that. We went up east of Tignall and on Hwy 79 known as the Elberton highway. North Lincoln County, Wilkes, and Elbert counties, We liked that part of the lake. We were camping at Leroy's Ferry Campground.

greg_n_clayton

Is there any permanent camping " clubs" on the GA side of Clarks Hill / Strom Thurman. I have heard several people talk about them here and in other states. I know I'm not the most computer savvy person or the best googler lol, but can't seem to find anything on line. Thanks
Where you located ? Also, are looking at spot to live full time or a weekend type deal ?

Never mind. I realize now you looking toward Clark Him.

greg_n_clayton

If you were looking toward Russell I might could help ya out.

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
Soap Creek Marina near Lincolnton might have sites that they would lease year round I would guess they would be on the steep side of the pricing scale though.

greg_n_clayton

Never fished Russell, but willing to check it out. What do you have up there
I got a mobile home over there with a screen porch. Before I retired, I worked as a Industrial Construction Superintendent and traveled around the Southeast. I preferred my camper to motel rooms. When I had a job in close, I had rigged the place up so I could park my camper out back and hook to water power and sewer.

lancek742

I got a mobile home over there with a screen porch. Before I retired, I worked as a Industrial Construction Superintendent and traveled around the Southeast. I preferred my camper to motel rooms. When I had a job in close, I had rigged the place up so I could park my camper out back and hook to water power and sewer.
Sounds nice. I am looking for something for occasional long weekends but year round. I like the idea of having a place already set up to where we just have to haul pontoon boat and groceries and go for a few days

Artfuldodger

I really liked that part of the lake around Bobby Brown road. We camped at Hester's Ferry above Fishing Creek, it is a county park now. Just thought the area was nice between there, on Bobby Brown Road and on to Calhoun Falls.
Lake Russell looked nice too, we looked around Calhoun Falls State Park. Elberton was pretty close as was Lincolnton from Hester's Ferry. That area seemed a little less busy than Mcduffie County or Columbia County.

We met a guy who pulled in a couple of nice bass right off Hester's Ferry. He comes all the way from Kentucky to fish Clarks Hill. He said the points off Hester's Ferry is his favorite place to fish.

Last edited:

greg_n_clayton

I really liked that part of the lake around Bobby Brown road. We camped at Hester's Ferry above Fishing Creek, it is a county park now. Just thought the area was nice between there, on Bobby Brown Road and on to Calhoun Falls.
Lake Russell looked nice too, we looked around Calhoun Falls State Park. Elberton was pretty close as was Lincolnton from Hester's Ferry. That area seemed a little less busy than Mcduffie County or Columbia County.

We met a guy who pulled in a couple of nice bass right off Hester's Ferry. He comes all the way from Kentucky to fish Clarks Hill. He said the points off Hester's Ferry is his favorite place to fish.
Me and a buddy of mine went down there and put in at Hester's Bottoms to crappie fish one night. There is/was 2 boat ramps side by side. Except..one is behind the gate ..the other outside. Needless to say...the camp host was not a happy camper when I woke him up at around 3 AM to let me outta the gate !

Artfuldodger

Me and a buddy of mine went down there and put in at Hester's Bottoms to crappie fish one night. There is/was 2 boat ramps side by side. Except..one is behind the gate ..the other outside. Needless to say...the camp host was not a happy camper when I woke him up at around 3 AM to let me outta the gate !
Not a"Happy Camper" lol I would imagine!

Big7

The Oracle
HaHa... I did the same twice when I had my big Starcraft.

The goal when I bought it was moving to Florida, living in a nice park until I made sure the job would work out- then look for a nice condo..

I don't have the camper any more.
The idea of moving back to Pinellas County still has my attention

Clearwater on the Gulf side and Miami/Homestead on the Atlantic are my 2 favorite places on erf..?

Big7

The Oracle
Almost forgot... The K.O.A.'s along highways are decent enough until you find a nice park..

I'm not sure if there are any K.O.A.'s in East Georgia now.

I'd run some feeler's out for farmers and other land owner's in the area you want to be.

I found one in Cross, South Carolina a while back. The friend had some acreage there and wasn't going to take my money.

Point being- ask around. You never know.?