Permethrin

Clipper

I've read about folks using permethrin to keep ticks and chiggers off on this forum before and would like to try it this year. Deet works or me but smells to high heaven. I know you spray only your clothes and let it dry before putting them on. How long does it last? I assume it must be applied every time you wash your clothes?

Hillbilly stalker

You can buy the sawyers brand at Wal - Mart next to the other repellents. It's premixed. They say it will last after several washes. Some guys mix their own. Beware it is death to cats and fish. Spray it outside were it can dry. People have reported spraying clothing in their garage and finding their cats dead the next day. It's strong stuff, I use the sawyers on my clothes this time of year, it really works. I'm thinking its a brown can, use it ONLY on clothing.

willie1971

IF you hunt a lot and want to save some $, get CONCENTRATED permethrin at tractors supply or southern states. Dilute in a tank sprayer and save some cash

bowhunterdavid

Been hog hunting at night on the weekends now for two mounts and sprayed my clothes with Sawyers one time and haven't got eat up with any ticks are chiggers even with several washings. Sawyers is the way to go IMO. Don't apply it on your skin.

frankwright

I like to buy Martin's brand of permethrin as it is water based. I usually get it on Amazon, a Qt is about $25.00.
The stuff in a spray can says it last through five or six washings but the home mixed stuff does not have all the same ingredients and may not penetrate the clothing as well.
I mix it in a spray bottle and spray my clothes the day before and leave outside to dry. I follow up with some Earth Scent cover spray just to be safe.
I usually repeat after two washings and I never get any chiggers, ticks or mosquitoes on me. The mosquitoes will still try to get you on bare skin but I use the Thermacell for that.
I use a 1:6 ratio in an eye drop bottle to rewet my Thermacell pads. I put a little blue food color in it just so I can see it. I use the pads until they fall apart. I put 5/6 drops on the pad before I walk to the stand an give it a minute to sink in befor lighting.

Jake Allen

Good stuff Frank, but I think the main repellent on a thermocell pad is pyrethrin and not permethrin. I don;t know about breathing the smoke from permethrin. Pyrethrin is a repellent extracted from a Chrysanthemum bloom I think.

Clipper

Thanks for the info, guys. I already have some that I treat the ground around my beehives with so I think I will go the homebrew route and mix it to the same concentration as the store bought stuff. I appreciate the caution about cats, would not want to kill my wife's cat.

delacroix

BANNED
Permethrin is a nerve agent. If the sprayer leaks on your bare skin it can go numb for a little while. Breathing that in would be bad.

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
Gents, what’s the ratio you use with the concentrate to put on your clothes?
I ordered the concentrate online from an exterminator shop.

Thanks for the tip on recycling the Thermacell pads.

Hillbilly stalker

No way I would put it on therma cell pads. Wrong chemical. You can cut the pads in half and they work just as well. Keep them in a zip lock. When they start fading , put a drop of water or spit on them and they will last longer.

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
No way I would put it on therma cell pads. Wrong chemical. You can cut the pads in half and they work just as well. Keep them in a zip lock. When they start fading , put a drop of water or spit on them and they will last longer.

Interesting post, Allethrin in Thermacell is same chemical as Raid.

Semi-Pro

Full-Pro
Random thought. This stuff is good for 6 washes. I put it on my hammock a couple years ago and have used it twice. But never washed it. I would assume its still good

Big7

The Oracle
Just when I wanted to try primitive weapon season, you guy's just reminded me why I don't do that.?

tdw3684

I bought one of the camo shirts at Wal mart that's tick and mosquito resistant. The tag says it's treated with permethrin that is bonded to the thread and supposed to last 70 washings. It only cost 12.88 so I'll give it a shot.