Persimmons.

slow motion

Bigbendgyrene

The one in our front yard looks very similar. We like grilled and stir fried. May try to slice and freeze this year. Any tips on use you would like to share? Thanks.
Slow motion, you're definitely ahead of us on exploring different uses. To date we've generally just eaten them fresh off the trees, though this year we're not keeping up with the production.

Thinking about making some jam and preserves with them in the coming weeks to both try for ourselves and then give away as presents to neighbors if turn out as good as expected. Supposedly they work well with jams and preserves as they are naturally high in pectin and due to their pH levels require just a spoonful or two of lemon/lime juice to preserve well.
(y)

SakoL61R

Fresh by themselves, in salads, sliced thin and dried.
We give many to friends as well.
Would like to do preserves at some point

ucfireman

Those are nice. I got 1 in the yard I planted a few years ago, Thought it died. I even ran over it with the mower later. Well this past spring it spouted back from the roots. Its about 3 foot tall now. Hope it will produce in a few years.
I don't think it was grafted, may have been so it may be a gamble as to what it grows.
It was supposed to be a Fuyu I believe.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Those are nice. I got 1 in the yard I planted a few years ago, Thought it died. I even ran over it with the mower later. Well this past spring it spouted back from the roots. Its about 3 foot tall now. Hope it will produce in a few years.
I don't think it was grafted, may have been so it may be a gamble as to what it grows.
It was supposed to be a Fuyu I believe.
If it was a Fuyu, it was 99.9999% grafted onto a Diospyros lotus rootstock. If you cut it below the graft, you will get a persimmon shrub that has lots of little marble-sized dark-colored persimmons on it if the rootstock was female.

ucfireman

If it was a Fuyu, it was 99.9999% grafted onto a Diospyros lotus rootstock. If you cut it below the graft, you will get a persimmon shrub that has lots of little marble-sized dark-colored persimmons on it if the rootstock was female.
Maybe I will try to graft some American persimmon wood to it. I have a few females.
It has about 3-4 sprouts about 3ft tall.
But may wait to see if the fuyu will come out if not then cut it back and do the American.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Maybe I will try to graft some American persimmon wood to it. I have a few females.
It has about 3-4 sprouts about 3ft tall.
How low was it cut off? The graft union would be near ground level on container stock.

ucfireman

How low was it cut off? The graft union would be near ground level on container stock.
I thought it was dead and cut it with the mower, so about 1-2 inches. Then it sprouted so I left the sprouts, Probably cut below the graft if I was guessing. I know I planted it "high" as I do with most trees.

Bob2010

No, because they stay on the tree until they rot. We haven't had any luck at all getting deer to eat the Japanese ones much, but they love the American ones. The cultivars of the natives are the way to go. Meader, Yates, Prok, and Deer Magnet are all good, with the Meader and Yates being the best. I just graft scion wood from the cultivars onto the hundreds of male persimmon saplings that are growing everywhere. They grow much faster than planting a tree. I usually have good crops of fruit within a couple years. I had a couple grafted Meader trees this year that the deer had worn a circular trail around eating persimmons.

Any idea where I can get some Meader or Yates???

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Any idea where I can get some Meader or Yates???
I don't know about locally. If you google those, you can find several nurseries selling them online.