Pet peeve

Rabun

I was at the ramp one day in the Spring waiting on a guy to launch his slick looking inboard ski boat while he's on a single lane ramp...think it was a master craft. He finally got all his stuff on the boat, unhooked the tow strap from the boat and instructed his friend to back the truck up. His friend had never driven his truck (he told me that after the incident) and I don't think he ever backed a boat in. I watch the driver trying to back up...engine revving with reverse lights on and the truck wouldn't move. He finally figured out he had the emergency break on so he popped it off, truck took off backwards, he hit the breaks and stopped and i watched that nice shiny ski boat slide off the trailer in slow motion it seemed like and land on the concrete ramp on the bronze rudder and 4-blade prop. Front half of boat on the trailer, back half on the concrete. Now I was a bit perturbed by having to wait while he prepped on the ramp but I sure hated to see that happen. I can still hear the rending of metal on the concrete. I helped him get the boat back on the trailer and he checked the steering, rudder didn't turn. Prop had a chunk broken off of one blade and drive shaft was bent. OUCH! No idea how much that cost him, but I know it wasn't cheap. I genuinely felt sorry for the guy...he said he just got his boat out of service, had it detailed and all waxed up for his first time on the lake that season. I think that was the worst ***** I have seen at a ramp.

Cmp1

BANNED
I was at the ramp one day in the Spring waiting on a guy to launch his slick looking inboard ski boat while he's on a single lane ramp...think it was a master craft. He finally got all his stuff on the boat, unhooked the tow strap from the boat and instructed his friend to back the truck up. His friend had never driven his truck (he told me that after the incident) and I don't think he ever backed a boat in. I watch the driver trying to back up...engine revving with reverse lights on and the truck wouldn't move. He finally figured out he had the emergency break on so he popped it off, truck took off backwards, he hit the breaks and stopped and i watched that nice shiny ski boat slide off the trailer in slow motion it seemed like and land on the concrete ramp on the bronze rudder and 4-blade prop. Front half of boat on the trailer, back half on the concrete. Now I was a bit perturbed by having to wait while he prepped on the ramp but I sure hated to see that happen. I can still hear the rending of metal on the concrete. I helped him get the boat back on the trailer and he checked the steering, rudder didn't turn. Prop had a chunk broken off of one blade and drive shaft was bent. OUCH! No idea how much that cost him, but I know it wasn't cheap. I genuinely felt sorry for the guy...he said he just got his boat out of service, had it detailed and all waxed up for his first time on the lake that season. I think that was the worst ***** I have seen at a ramp.
Wow,,,,that's some money,bent drive shaft,,,,

Coenen

Rabun, OOF DA! That hurts my wallet just thinking about it.

I wish folks would be a bit more mindful, but that's rough.

MikeyD6

Deleted

That's crazy! Another thing that people don't think about is how dangerous the tow strap winches can be. That handle can break your arm easily if that boat starts sliding and the winch isn't locked. I've been hit in the wrist when my little jon boat slid just a little and it hurt like h_ll.

BassRaider

I've seen that several times at tourneys. I always wait 'til I get down the end of the ramp before I unstrap the winch.

Rabun

I agree. I have launched with the strap undone but after witnessing that, never again. Learning from others mistakes is knowledge gained at a bargain price.

luigi

Folks fishing off the dock at the public ramps. It's illegal

Can you tell me where this is stated? I know that some parks or other designated areas have restrictions about fishing from ramps and/or docks, but I can’t find where it is illegal in general.

Coenen

Can you tell me where this is stated? I know that some parks or other designated areas have restrictions about fishing from ramps and/or docks, but I can’t find where it is illegal in general.
Most public ramps on Lanier have "No Fishing" posted at the courtesy dock.

GunnSmokeer

Russians. Gosh darned Russians on our lakes, drunk on potato vodka, grenade fishing.
Unsafely. Using zero-delay hand grenades (made for booby traps, not hand-throwing).
But we can't throw the Reds out; Russians are Trump's best friends, and he owes them a favor for that election help. ; )

jigman29

If you look at the ramps they have a sign that states no fishing allowed, the docks are for loading and unloading only

EAGLE EYE 444

King Casanova
MY ONLY QUESTION IS..........JUST WHICH ONE OF YOU IS THIS BOATER ????????

APPARENTLY WHEN GOD WAS GIVING OUT BRAINS......THIS PERSON MUST HAVE THOUGHT THAT HE SAID TRAINS, SO HE SAID THAT HE WOULD WAIT AND CATCH THE NEXT ONE !!!!! :hair::hair::hair::banginghe:banginghe:banginghe

PS: AFTER SEEING THIS CLUSTER, PLEASE DON'T EVER CALL ME AND ASK ME TO GO FISHING WITH YOU !!!!

DUMB & DUMBER   1-21-2019.jpg

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I don't know about Georgia, but it is illegal to fish from public ramps in NC. I saw a dude get a ticket for it once, and he deserved it. He was one of those who wouldn't move, and got mad at folks trying to launch or load. One guy got about a hundred feet of line wrapped up around his prop, and he wasn't happy.

It is unlawful to:

• Leave any vehicle, trailer, boat or other obstruction where it will impede the use of the ramp by others.
  • Park any vehicles, trailer or boat anywhere on the area other than the designated parking zone. This does not prohibit legal use of the ramp.
  • Use the area for swimming, camping, operating concessions or for any use other than the launching and recovery of boats and parking of vehicles and boat trailers, except where facilities for a particular use are provided.

luigi

I don't know about Georgia, but it is illegal to fish from public ramps in NC. I saw a dude get a ticket for it once, and he deserved it. He was one of those who wouldn't move, and got mad at folks trying to launch or load. One guy got about a hundred feet of line wrapped up around his prop, and he wasn't happy.

Some county parks have restrictions posted, some don’t, I thought it was permitted if not posted as restricted. Of course, common sense and courtesy should prevail as with fishing anywhere else, although I realize many are lacking in both areas.

Ignaeis28

Maybe save a argument at the lake or on the water I thought I would start this. So what's your pet peeve when it comes to fishing or boating? I have many but one of mine is trying to back down a ramp to launch my boat and being blinded by the truck on the ramp next to me. Turn your head lights off people!
People who pull up into the ramp on the down slope and start to unload their gear from the vehicle to the boat when others are waiting to launch or trailer their boats.....

Coenen

MY ONLY QUESTION IS..........JUST WHICH ONE OF YOU IS THIS BOATER?
Vid didn't work if that's what you were going for. Has the look of an Aussie and his 'tinnie'. I've seen some videos of those guys, they are a whole different breed of crazy down under.

Tom W.

I reckon I'm one of those that raise the ire of some. Since selling my Ranger and moving to my current abode, I haven't had any practice backing a trailer down in years.... The last few times I went crappie fishing the boat owner backed the boat into the lake and I pulled the truck and trailer and parked them. Since the cancer surgeries I've been pretty pitiful in comparison to my former self.
Not all handicaps are visible.....

StriperrHunterr

Before I got a boat here in GA, m wife and I were bank fishing around a park and this guy was trying to recover his pontoon one year when the water was really low. I saw them back the trailer down the ramp, looked at the water and I could se the end of the concrete about 10 feet from the water's edge. I flagged him down and warned him about it and that he might want to consider a different ramp. He said he'd be okay. He backs down and I could tell the trailer went off the edge very sharply and onto the mud. They get the winch hooked to the toon and start trying to pull it out and you could see the trailer on one side dip while the other one rose. He had ran that one tire under the slab and it couldn't climb the lip. He spent 20 minutes smoking his tires trying to get it out, while he had his kids, that were both well under 10, by the tire in question trying to stack rocks to get it to climb. He ended up giving up and I told him about another ramp a little ways down the road that we had just left that looked like it had deeper water because there were plenty of trailers in the parking lot. He agrees and lets the toon off the trailer and the trailer climbs the ramp like there never was any problem. Surveying the damage we can see that it wasn't the wheel that was really the problem, but the leaf spring anchor point that was hung on the concrete, and all of his pulling had nearly sheared the leading anchor almost completely off. I recommended he stop at a trailer shop to have them look at it and weld it before trying to pull his boat because if that cracked weld gave way his day was going to get exponentially worse.

When I was a youngster my dad and I saw a similar situation back in NC. The difference was that it was pre-dawn in December and there was ice in the creek backs where this ramp was. Divers were called out with plasma cutters because they couldn't drag the wheel out from under that slab with anything they had.