Petition of support to state of georgia for proposed spring bear season, bow only on public land.

northgeorgiasportsman

Staff member
That didn't require a law change. Regulation changes are usually only on the radar of hunters rather than the general public.

So adding a dog hunt was just a change in regulations, but adding a spring hunt would require a change to law? Is that correct? I understand the sentiment of not getting the public spotlight on something.

splatek

UAEC
So adding a dog hunt was just a change in regulations, but adding a spring hunt would require a change to law? Is that correct? I understand the sentiment of not getting the public spotlight on something.

According to what @C.Killmaster has told us previously, yes. A change in regulations, like moving the date of the dog-bear hunt (you are welcome @jbogg ) is something that DNR can do, but changing season dates is a legal change, or change to the law about hunting seasons, etc.

So what that really means is it'll be really hard to get our own bigfoot season (or spring bear season), but should be relatively easy to get the dog dates changed.... Although I suspect neither will ever occur.

C.Killmaster

Georgia Deer Biologist
They obviously received enough talk to craft a response email and send it out.. I say keep pushing. Several years ago hounds were off the table, so was baiting deer, and so forth. It takes a while to get something new going

Go for it. Once the general public realizes we hunt bears you can expect lots of articles like this. We hunters are only 6% of the population in Georgia (bear hunters probably far less than 1%), that's why DNR isn't supporting this.

https://www.miamiherald.com/news/lo...24934.html#:~:text=>-,By,of bears in the wild.

ddd-shooter

Until we start winning the war on our narrative in the media, Im afraid it's all a lost cause. Hopefully, social media and grassroots conservation talk will help get the general public on our side. Until then, I hate to say it, but we kinda have to bide our time.

Raylander

I’m Billy’s Useles Uncle.
Go for it. Once the general public realizes we hunt bears you can expect lots of articles like this. We hunters are only 6% of the population in Georgia (bear hunters probably far less than 1%), that's why DNR isn't supporting this.

https://www.miamiherald.com/news/local/environment/article238224934.html#:~:text=>-,By,of bears in the wild.

I understand that perspective. It’s sad that we have to hide in case we ‘hurt some feelings’. I also understand that the state legislature has more say than the WRD. I’d like to see that change to the Missouri model. Bear hunting in general is under attack. I don’t see how being quiet about it will help anything. Maybe it’s stubborn, but I’m not a hide in the shadows kind of feller.

I don’t know if GA would benefit from spring hunts but it seems to me that it is the most effective way to check the population. States that cut out their previous spring hunts have a real problem with keeping numbers in line-IE Maine and CO. ~10% fall take does not keep pace. In any state.. AR has been hammering their bear at that rate for a long time only to have the population spread to neighboring states. NC has bears at the beach now. I’d rather hunt bear than any other game we have. I like some places rotten with bear. If they told me we had a 2-day sling shot hunt; I’d be there. However, if the state is serious about keeping the pop in check or slightly reducing it; merely swapping methods of take in the fall will not accomplish that imo. Bear management is new when compared to other game, there isn’t as much data to draw from. It’s starting to look like bear populations, particularly in eastern states, grow at a much larger rate than previously thought.

Raylander

Until we start winning the war on our narrative in the media, Im afraid it's all a lost cause. Hopefully, social media and grassroots conservation talk will help get the general public on our side. Until then, I hate to say it, but we kinda have to bide our time.

Agreed, and since it would require legislative action at the state level we’d likely be more successful herding cats. But, that doesn’t mean we have to be quiet. Nothing good will be accomplished through silence.

Whit90

I am no bear hunter, although I am wanting to start next season. But I do believe, like others, we are playing with fire with this topic. With each generation that is born the general public is becoming more sensitive in every way possible. If attention is drawn to bear hunting then all the snowflakes that think with their emotions and not with logic will cry about it, and most likely get their way, because the squeaky wheel gets the grease. Unfortunately it seems that all the snowflakes are much more effective at forming a united voice than us hunters.

I like Clay Newcomb's, of bear hunter magazine, slogan: Guard the gate.
Meaning guard what we have and dont give an inch. Because if we give an inch... you know...

Although not bringing attention to it and just keeping it out of the eyes of the rest of the world isnt the worst idea either. IDK... sounds cowardly as I type this, but like I said, those snowflakes are much more unified and there are more of them than us. .

Why is the general public (nonhunters) so attached to bears anyway??

splatek

UAEC
I understand that perspective. It’s sad that we have to hide in case we ‘hurt some feelings’. I also understand that the state legislature has more say than the WRD. I’d like to see that change to the Missouri model. Bear hunting in general is under attack. I don’t see how being quiet about it will help anything. Maybe it’s stubborn, but I’m not a hide in the shadows kind of feller.

What gets me is it's the non-hunting liberals that will have their feelings hurt about this, but it's those same people that will cite science about other issues, climate change. I am not saying climates aren't changing, my point is you shouldn't be able to pick and choose where you apply science and where you apply emotion. I am particularly opposed to animal rights folks, because my first year of grad school they destroyed a colleague's animal lab, resulting in all of those lab animals dying in the basement of the science building, 10 years of research destroyed, and millions of dollars of funding out the door.

I like Clay Newcomb's, of bear hunter magazine, slogan: Guard the gate.
Meaning guard what we have and dont give an inch. Because if we give an inch... you know...

I like this fella too, however, his notion of "Guard the gate" ain't going to work for much longer. Before long it'll be like guarding the gate while standing with our backs to the cliff. At some point there the defense has to get the ball back for their offense..., right?

Christian hughey

I really appreciate everyones support and after emailing back and forth with mr hammond I got what everyone wanted, his honest opinion. His two main concerns were orphaning Cubs and the non hunter crowd causing a stink for the whole thing all together. When you look in respect of the general public, we are a small voice. So until the bears start bothering them to the point they want them gone I'm thinking we are gonna be out of luck on this one. I feel without dnr support on this it would be a lost cause. I totally respect the opinion and hard work provided by dnr. Our state has come along way due to they're efforts and eventhough I'm ready to hit the woods this spring after a big fat head, all we can do is come together, go to the meetings and keep bringing it up. I really think theres still some topic for discussion to add male bear only to the short already present predator season starting may 25th would still be a good idea but I also understand they are a big game animal and this would take significant changes.

C.Killmaster

Georgia Deer Biologist

I don’t know if GA would benefit from spring hunts but it seems to me that it is the most effective way to check the population. States that cut out their previous spring hunts have a real problem with keeping numbers in line-IE Maine and CO. ~10% fall take does not keep pace. In any state.. AR has been hammering their bear at that rate for a long time only to have the population spread to neighboring states. NC has bears at the beach now. I’d rather hunt bear than any other game we have. I like some places rotten with bear. If they told me we had a 2-day sling shot hunt; I’d be there. However, if the state is serious about keeping the pop in check or slightly reducing it; merely swapping methods of take in the fall will not accomplish that imo. Bear management is new when compared to other game, there isn’t as much data to draw from. It’s starting to look like bear populations, particularly in eastern states, grow at a much larger rate than previously thought.

I totally agree on the politics, it really stinks to have to tiptoe around with bear hunting. Personally, I would welcome an additional opportunity if we didn't have the political issues and it was biologically feasible. With that said, our bear biologist believes that the fall season can yield adequate harvest to manage the population and there is greater risk for orphaned cubs in a spring season. I trust his expertise on the matter so I couldn't support it.

jbogg

Pigs get fat, and hogs get slaughtered. I truly believe in this case hunters need to be strategic. I’m pleased to see the DNR also recognizes the potential downside of a spring bear hunt. I would love to see hunting opportunities expanded as much as anybody, but we already have an extremely generous season compared to many states. Georgia is not all that different from Florida with many Snowbirds moving here every day. Honestly, I’m just hoping that we will be able to quietly fly under the radar and keep what we have in the way of hunting opportunities. The lack of support from hunters for the foothills project is proof enough that we hunters are never going to have the megaphone.

Whit90

I like this fella too, however, his notion of "Guard the gate" ain't going to work for much longer. Before long it'll be like guarding the gate while standing with our backs to the cliff. At some point there the defense has to get the ball back for their offense..., right?

Agreed. Hunters are already out numbered and seem to be a dying bread.

Raylander

I totally agree on the politics, it really stinks to have to tiptoe around with bear hunting. Personally, I would welcome an additional opportunity if we didn't have the political issues and it was biologically feasible. With that said, our bear biologist believes that the fall season can yield adequate harvest to manage the population and there is greater risk for orphaned cubs in a spring season. I trust his expertise on the matter so I couldn't support it.

Understandable

Raylander

That really chaps my behind as well. Those same folks preach science as a settled absolute when it fits their narrative. I guess if that was the case, the world would still be flat.. All scientists should not agree. We learn best by questioning, and pushing one another (in a respectful manner).

gobbleinwoods

Keeper of the Magic Word

When bears start showing up in residential neighborhoods like coyotes have then the local media will maybe run enough stories to change the people's attitude.