Pheasant recipes please

GAHUNTER60

I've got 18 double pheasant breasts, and have no idea how to cook them. How about some of y'all sharing your favorite recipes with me.

Thanks in advance!

Big7

The Oracle
I've never killed one or hunted.

My buddy used to give me 2 per limit on his trips to North and South Dakota.

I like them cooked in the oven. On a rack or rotisserie is even better. Just a little salt and butter while roasting. Pinch of black pepper at the end so pepper won't get burned and rank.

Just do like you would a quail. They are similar in fat to dark and lean ratio. Obviously, Pheasant will take a tad longer.

I'd stay away from the smoker. Pheasant is a delicate fowl. No need for much fan fare. It's good roasted. What some call "broasted"..

Big7

The Oracle
Another way, since you have the whole breast would be Cordon Bleu. Use prosciutto or baked ham, swiss cheese and a touch of crumbled (real) blue cheese as a stuffing. A VERY FEW lightly toasted sourdough crumbs will be good too..

Pack it in lightly. Trussthen roast.
That would be awesome with some garden salad and a good white whine.

GAHUNTER60

A cousin who hunts South Dakota every year says to simply flour and lightly brown the breasts after seasoning them to taste, and then put them in the crock pot with cream of mushroom soup and whatever veggies you like. Then simply serve over white, wild, or a mixture of the two, rice.

Sounds pretty simple to me!

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
A cousin who hunts South Dakota every year says to simply flour and lightly brown the breasts after seasoning them to taste, and then put them in the crock pot with cream of mushroom soup and whatever veggies you like. Then simply serve over white, wild, or a mixture of the two, rice.

Killed a few and found I like them BarBQued like chicken.

Cmp1

BANNED
I used to broil mine with a mixture of frozen OJ,undiluted,and Worcester sauce,,,,I used to do Cornish hens the same way,,,,

blood on the ground

Cross threading is better than two lock washers.
I smoke them like you would a chicken.

Don't shoot the messenger here, I'm just tossing this out there. Rub them with olive oil and dust them up good with ranch dressing (seasoning mix)

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
I’ve had them marinated in butter milk , seasoned, floured and deep fried and they were pretty tasty !

Stonewall 2

Another way that is good is just like the skinless boneless chicken thigh recipe I saw in the outdoor cafe.
Season with whatever you like I use natures seasoning take a slice of Jalapeño a cube of cream cheese then fold up in the filet wrap in bacon then grill until bacon is done. Also good basted with barbecue sauce at the end.

greg j

Looks like any way you cook them is gonna be good. Hunted a lot of them on state
game preserves when i lived in Illinois, did the cream of mushroom thing in the oven, they were always good.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member

Sounds like a good way to drown out the taste of the pheasant.

I'd just call them chicken, and cook them like that.

Cmp1

BANNED
Looks like any way you cook them is gonna be good. Hunted a lot of them on state
game preserves when i lived in Illinois, did the cream of mushroom thing in the oven, they were always good.
No way,,,,Good Lord,,,,not pickin,,,,but,,,,

Jetjockey

Whatever you do, DO NOT overcook them. I’m a firm believer in 140 for the breasts and pull them. I plucked one last week, spatchcocked it, marinated it for 24hours, and then injected it with butter and garlic. I threw it on the Kamado with a little apple smoke for about an hour, and pulled it at 140. It was probably the best pheasant I’ve had, and I’ve eaten a lot of pheasant.

Jetjockey

Another thing to consider, and it doesn’t apply to the OP because they are breasts, but as I’ve gotten older, half the fun of taking game is putting together a great meal. Birds, like big game, also benefit from hanging. When I finish my “man cave” in my basement, I’m goi g to buy a small refrigerator specifically dedicated to hanging birds.

https://honest-food.net/on-hanging-pheasants-2/