Pheasant

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Nope. Closest thing is grouse in the north GA mountains. They have always been called "pheasants" by mountain folks. But no wild ringnecks anywhere in the southeast.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Sad. They've been hunted out of existence in most parts of the country.
There are few places in this country outside the upper midwest that they are capable of reproducing and maintaining populations without a lot of stocking. They haven't been hunted out of existence. They are just a Chinese bird that can't survive on their own in most of our country. Many, many attempts have been made by about every state in the southeast to establish them, but they have never took off at all, except for a couple of small, unstable populations on the Outer Banks of NC.

Last edited:

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
I miss hunting them, Ohio had a pretty good population of them when I lived there.

SLY22

Useles Member !
There are few places in this country outside the upper midwest that they are capable of reproducing and maintaining populations without a lot of stocking. They haven't been hunted out of existence. They are just a Chinese bird that can't survive on their own in most of our country. Many, many attempts have been made by about every state in the southeast to establish them, but they have never took off at all, except for a couple of small, unstable populations on the Outer Banks of NC.

What is it about the southeast that keeps them from surviving?

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
What is it about the southeast that keeps them from surviving?
Just not the right habitat. Probably too warm, wet, and wooded.

Newt2

In one state I know of, over hunting wiped them out. The limit was 2 a day and 6 in possession. I went to one guy's house mid-afternoon on opening day and saw 26 spread out on the garage floor.

fishfryer

frying fish driveler
The state says simply too many predators they even tried jungle fowl once in Oaky Woods varmints quickly took care of that

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
I`ve heard that there is something in the soil and-or climate that won`t allow them to hatch and raise down here. I know that about 500 grown ones escaped from a hatchery in Webster County back in the mid 1990s that bordered the cub I was in. They all lasted less than a year. I`d see one from time to time, but they didn`t make it and never raised.

Darkhorse

I shot a couple in Macon county when I was 18 or so. I was going to a dove shoot and one crossed the road. I had to chase it down in a soybean field because it was a real runner. That same year we were quail hunting and the dogs pointed, we walked in to flush the birds and large covey flushed along with a long tailed pheasant.
Turned out some Mennonites had raised some and turned them loose. None survived. All died from natural causes. 2 died from lead poisoning.
I shouldn't have shot them but I was only 18 and didn't really know anything.
I do know they tasted real good.

across the river

I`ve heard that there is something in the soil and-or climate that won`t allow them to hatch and raise down here. I know that about 500 grown ones escaped from a hatchery in Webster County back in the mid 1990s that bordered the cub I was in. They all lasted less than a year. I`d see one from time to time, but they didn`t make it and never raised.

This paper goes into some of it. Page 4 if you are interested.

https://lib.dr.iastate.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=5051&context=rtd