phone contact list problem

oldfella1962

Okay my wife had to upgrade to a G4 LTE (won't need G5 for a few years) AT&T Cingular Flip IV.
I have the manual online and setting up her contact phone numbers was pretty easy. But here is the problem: when she will access the numbers and try to call, she gets an invalid number message.
But if she manually dials the same numbers, they work. And yes, the numbers were set up correctly. We check, double checked, and triple checked. The contact numbers are correct. But they only work when manually dialed.

HOWEVER when my wife tries my contact, it works. She doesn't have to dial it manually. Also all the numbers in her contact list are from various different phone companies. For example my number is Verizon.

I'm trying to avoid going into the nearest ATT&T office and waiting for an hour to get help. I don't think calling customer support would help because I don't think they will really understand what I'm asking. I don't need help setting up her contact numbers, they are all entered and titled and are valid when dialed manually. My contact number was set up just like all the rest of them, and it works.

Any thoughts? And please don't tell me to get a smart-phone since even simple flip-phones eat my lunch, thus a smart phone would put me into an insane asylum.

normaldave

GON Weatherman
I probably can't be much help, but I wonder, when you setup the new numbers, did you save them to the SIM card or onto the phone memory itself?

We used to save all the numbers on the SIM cards, but these days, normally, they are saved on the phone. I don't know that it would make a difference, but you might look into it.

Also, check to be sure you don't have a (1) in the beginning of the number like it used to be for long distance. Another is parentheses around the area code, don't think you need those anymore either, as far as entering the number itself into contacts.

I also ran into an issue where the contact was stored as a voice or text only setting.

oldfella1962

I probably can't be much help, but I wonder, when you setup the new numbers, did you save them to the SIM card or onto the phone memory itself?

We used to save all the numbers on the SIM cards, but these days, normally, they are saved on the phone. I don't know that it would make a difference, but you might look into it.

Also, check to be sure you don't have a (1) in the beginning of the number like it used to be for long distance. Another is parentheses around the area code, don't think you need those anymore either, as far as entering the number itself into contacts.

I also ran into an issue where the contact was stored as a voice or text only setting.

the contacts are saved exactly as you would dial them. My phone contact number is formatted exactly like the rest of her contact numbers, but mine is the only one that works. I thought maybe it's because my number has the same area code as her phone number, but she has other local area code contact numbers saved and they do not work....unless you manually dial them. Bottom line every contact number in her phone has to be manually dialed except for mine.

I can almost guarantee the AT&T store will say "I've never seen this happen before" because I have the reverse Midas touch. Everything electronic/high tech I handle doesn't work as advertised. :mad:

coolbreezeroho

How many contacts have a space to reenter the number ? You might try to reenter the number and then delete the first number .... If it works then hopefully theres not a lot of numbers to copy then delete... My phone has a home...work...cell number I can enter

oldfella1962

problem solved - turns out there was a # sign before the contact list numbers. The guy at the phone store saw the problem right away. I have no idea why there was a # sign before the numbers, but no doubt I must hit hit a wrong button or whatever when I was setting up the contacts. Also one of my contacts is labeled a # sign with no other info, like an actual name or a number. I have no idea what happened there.

I think those chickens at the county fair who play tic-tac-toe can work a cell phone better than I can. :(

Buck70

I think those chickens at the county fair who play tic-tac-toe can work a cell phone better than I can. :([/QUOTE]
I know what you are talking about.