Physical Death And Intermediate State

Thread starter #1
WHERE ARE THE DEAD:

PHYSICAL DEATH AND THE INTERMEDIATE STATE

Russelism say's, "Death is a period of absolute non-existence." Adventism also teaches that the dead are unconscious in the grave and that the soul sleeps at the time of physical death. Both of these false religions teach the total extinction of the wicked in eternity. The Bible does not teach soul-sleep, unconsciousness of souls after death, total extinction of being, or a second chance for the wicked as you will see from the following.

The material and spiritual natures of man are clearly distinguished in Scripture;
"And the Lord God formed man of the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and he became a living soul" ( Gen. 2:7 ). Here it is clear that the soul was not formed out of the dust. It was the body only that was formed and the soul was breathed into the newly formed body and man became a living person. Just as the body was dead before the soul and spirit were put within it, so the body dies again when the inner man leaves it ( James 2:26 ). Many Scriptures distinguish between the inner man and the body according to the following Scriptures:

"The spirit of man is the candle of the Lord, searching all the inward parts of the belly" ( Prov. 20:27 ). "But the flesh upon him shall have pain, and his soul within him shall mourn" ( Job. 14:22 ). "But there is a spirit in man: and the inspiration of the Almighty giveth them understanding ( Job. 32:8 ). "The burden of the word of the Lord for Israel, said the Lord, which stretcheth forth the heavens, and layeth the foundation of the earth, and formeth the spirit of man within him" ( Zech. 12:1 ). "And fear not them which kill the body, but are not able to kill the soul: but rather fear gim which is able to destroy both body and soul in he11" ( Matt. 10:28 )." Then saith he unto them, My soul is exceeding sorrowful, even unto death: tarry ye here, and watch with me. . . . And he went a little further, and fell on his face, and prayed, saying, O my Father, if it be possible, let this cup pass from me: nevertheless not as I will, but as thou wilt. . . . And cometh unto the disciples, and findeth them asleep, and saith unto Peter, what, could ye not watch with me one hour?. . . . Watch and pray, that ye enter not into temptation: the spirit indeed is willing, but the flesh is weak." ( Matt. 26:38-41 ). "And to love him with all the heart, and with all the understanding, and with all the soul and with all the strength , and to love his neighbour as himself, is more than all whole burnt offerings and sacrifices ( Mark 12:33). "Now is my soul troubled: and what shall I say? Father, save me from this hour: but for this cause came I unto this hour" ( John12:27 ). "For what man knoweth the things of a man, save the spirit of man which is in him? even so the things of God knoweth no man, but the Spirit of God" ( 1 Cor. 2:11 ). "For ye are bought with a price: therefore glorify God in your body, and in your spirit, which are God's" ( 1 Cor. 6:20 ). "We are confident, I say, and willing rather to be absent from the body and to be present with the lord" ( 2 Cor. 5:8 ). "And I knew such a man, ( whether in the body, or out of the body, I cannot tell: God knoweth. . . . How that he was caught up into paradise, and heard unspeakable words, which it is not lawful for a man to utter" ( 2 Cor. 3-4 ). "And the very God of peace sanctify you wholly; and I pray God your whole spirit and soul and body be preserved blameless unto the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ" ( 1 Thess. 5:23 ). "For the word of God is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any twoedged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart" ( Heb. 4:12 ). "N ow the just shall live by faith: but if any man draw back, my soul shall have no pleasure in him" ( Heb. 10:38 ). "For me to live is Christ, and to die is gain. . . . but if I live in the flesh, this is the fruit of my labour: yet what I shall choose I wot not. . . . For I am in a strait betwixt two, having a desire to depart and to be with Christ; which is far better: nevertheless to abide in the flesh is more needful for you ( Phil. 1:21-24 )."For as the body with out the spirit is dead, so faith without works is dead also" ( James 2:26 ). "And when he had opened the fifth seal, I saw under the alter the souls of them that were slain for the word of God, and for the testimony which they held:. . . . And they cried with a loud voice, saying How long, O Lord, holy and true, dost thou not judge and avenge our blood on them that dwell on the earth. . . . And white robes were given unto every one of them; and it was said unto them, that they should rest yet for a little season, until their fellowservants also and their brethren, that should be killed as they were, should be fulfilled: ( Rev. 6:9-11 ).

WHERE ARE THE DEAD:

PHYSICAL DEATH AND THE INTERMEDIATE STATE

Russelism say's, "Death is a period of absolute non-existence." Adventism also teaches that the dead are unconscious in the grave and that the soul sleeps at the time of physical death. Both of these false religions teach the total extinction of the wicked in eternity. The Bible does not teach soul-sleep, unconsciousness of souls after death, total extinction of being, or a second chance for the wicked as you will see from the following.

The material and spiritual natures of man are clearly distinguished in Scripture;
"And the Lord God formed man of the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and he became a living soul" ( Gen. 2:7 ). Here it is clear that the soul was not formed out of the dust. It was the body only that was formed and the soul was breathed into the newly formed body and man became a living person. Just as the body was dead before the soul and spirit were put within it, so the body dies again when the inner man leaves it ( James 2:26 ). Many Scriptures distinguish between the inner man and the body according to the following Scriptures:

"The spirit of man is the candle of the Lord, searching all the inward parts of the belly" ( Prov. 20:27 ). "But the flesh upon him shall have pain, and his soul within him shall mourn" ( Job. 14:22 ). "But there is a spirit in man: and the inspiration of the Almighty giveth them understanding ( Job. 32:8 ). "The burden of the word of the Lord for Israel, said the Lord, which stretcheth forth the heavens, and layeth the foundation of the earth, and formeth the spirit of man within him" ( Zech. 12:1 ). "And fear not them which kill the body, but are not able to kill the soul: but rather fear gim which is able to destroy both body and soul in he11" ( Matt. 10:28 )." Then saith he unto them, My soul is exceeding sorrowful, even unto death: tarry ye here, and watch with me. . . . And he went a little further, and fell on his face, and prayed, saying, O my Father, if it be possible, let this cup pass from me: nevertheless not as I will, but as thou wilt. . . . And cometh unto the disciples, and findeth them asleep, and saith unto Peter, what, could ye not watch with me one hour?. . . . Watch and pray, that ye enter not into temptation: the spirit indeed is willing, but the flesh is weak." ( Matt. 26:38-41 ). "And to love him with all the heart, and with all the understanding, and with all the soul and with all the strength , and to love his neighbour as himself, is more than all whole burnt offerings and sacrifices ( Mark 12:33). "Now is my soul troubled: and what shall I say? Father, save me from this hour: but for this cause came I unto this hour" ( John12:27 ). "For what man knoweth the things of a man, save the spirit of man which is in him? even so the things of God knoweth no man, but the Spirit of God" ( 1 Cor. 2:11 ). "For ye are bought with a price: therefore glorify God in your body, and in your spirit, which are God's" ( 1 Cor. 6:20 ). "We are confident, I say, and willing rather to be absent from the body and to be present with the lord" ( 2 Cor. 5:8 ). "And I knew such a man, ( whether in the body, or out of the body, I cannot tell: God knoweth. . . . How that he was caught up into paradise, and heard unspeakable words, which it is not lawful for a man to utter" ( 2 Cor. 3-4 ). "And the very God of peace sanctify you wholly; and I pray God your whole spirit and soul and body be preserved blameless unto the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ" ( 1 Thess. 5:23 ). "For the word of God is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any twoedged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart" ( Heb. 4:12 ). "N ow the just shall live by faith: but if any man draw back, my soul shall have no pleasure in him" ( Heb. 10:38 ). "For me to live is Christ, and to die is gain. . . . but if I live in the flesh, this is the fruit of my labour: yet what I shall choose I wot not. . . . For I am in a strait betwixt two, having a desire to depart and to be with Christ; which is far better: nevertheless to abide in the flesh is more needful for you ( Phil. 1:21-24 )."For as the body with out the spirit is dead, so faith without works is dead also" ( James 2:26 ). "And when he had opened the fifth seal, I saw under the alter the souls of them that were slain for the word of God, and for the testimony which they held:. . . . And they cried with a loud voice, saying How long, O Lord, holy and true, dost thou not judge and avenge our blood on them that dwell on the earth. . . . And white robes were given unto every one of them; and it was said unto them, that they should rest yet for a little season, until their fellowservants also and their brethren, that should be killed as they were, should be fulfilled: ( Rev. 6:9-11 ).
Do you think we'll have a temporary body while in our intermediate state? I've read some info. by Randy Alcorn. He writes a lot about heaven and he thinks we'll have a temporary body until our resurrection.

Thread starter #3
Do you think we'll have a temporary body while in our intermediate state? I've read some info. by Randy Alcorn. He writes a lot about heaven and he thinks we'll have a temporary body until our resurrection.
I would have to say yes according to Luke 16:19-31 the rich man seen Lazarus that shows me they have one, and they can see, for he could see Lazarus, and knew who he was.

Thread starter #4
At physical death the soul leaves the body:

"For as the body without the spirit is dead, so faith without works is dead also" ( James 2:26 ). "And he cried unto the lord, and said, O Lord my God, hast thou also brought evil upon the widow with whom I sojourn, by slaying her son?. . . .And stretched himself upon the child three times, and cried unto the Lord, and said O Lord my God, I pray thee, let this child's soul come into him again. . . .And the Lord heard the voice of Elijah; and the soul of the child came into him again, and he revived" ( 1 Kings 17:20-22 ).
" But man dieth, and wasteth away: yea man giveth up the ghost, and where is he? ( Job. 14:10 )." But when David saw that his servants whispered , David perceived that the child was dead: therefore David said unto his servants, is the child dead? And they said, he is dead. . . .Then David arose from the earth, and wash, and anointed himself, and changed his apparel, and came unto the house of the Lord, and worshipped: then he came to his own house; and when he required, they set bread before him, and he did eat. . . .Then said his servants unto him, what thing is this that thou hast done? Thou didst fast and weep for the child, while it was alive; but when the child was dead, thou didst rise and eat bread. . . .And he said, while the child was yet alive, I fasted and wept: for I said, Who can tell whether God will be gracious to me, that the child may live?. . . .But now he is dead, wherefore should I fast? can I bring him back again? I shall go to him, but he shall not return to me" ( 2 Sam. 12:19-23 ).