Pick your State

turkeykirk

I know of a ranch in Wyoming that backs up to the Shoshone Wilderness Area. Sure would like to own it!:biggrin3:

DynamicDennis

Really like Kansas and Nebraska. For turkey hunting the Gila mountains in New Mexico, one of the funnest hunts I've been on

Jim Thompson

Live From The Tree
Yes... yes, that was a mistake.

Really hard to explain it to someone.

When they go, they know.

I view SC as hobby hunting these days.

It's like trying to explain the excitement of deer hunting to a non hunter that is massively in love with cycling and "sees deer all the time".

AND in my wee mind it really doesnt have much to do with the size of the bucks or weight of the does. Its the hunting quality in general and the slow midwest lifestyle that caused me to fall in love with it

Jim Boyd

AND in my wee mind it really doesnt have much to do with the size of the bucks or weight of the does. Its the hunting quality in general and the slow midwest lifestyle that caused me to fall in love

Here is an analogy that works for me.

I lived in south Florida and fished and dove off of Lauderdale for a few years.

I made the mistake of going to the Bahamas a few times.

The fishing and snorkeling (shooting fish and lobsters) was so much better that I basically gave up on coastal US fishing.

For both hunting (now) and fishing (then) the entire experience is so much better, it is well worth the price of admission.

Here is me and my “little” brother. Joker outgrew me by the time we were 14 or so.

CE32340E-DB09-40BE-8680-4F6CAFC494F8.jpeg

josh chatham

I still love GA and hunt here a good bit. I’ve been shotgun hunting in Ohio for several years now. Nothing like it! You never know when your going to see a giant. I looked in KY for several years to buy land. Then a friend of mine turned me on to the Plateau country of TN. 3 hour drive and some really nice deer! Myself and a friend bought some land up there. First morning I hunted up there I killed the second biggest deer of my life. Between TN and Ohio, it’s hard to walk hours and miles in the N. GA mountains all season to see a few deer.

Browning Slayer

Official Voice Of The Dawgs !
Alaska.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Yes... yes, that was a mistake.

Really hard to explain it to someone.

When they go, they know.

I view SC as hobby hunting these days.
SC is destination hunting for me. :bounce:

If I was going to travel and spend a bunch of money to hunt, it wouldn't be for whitetails. It would be elk, moose, caribou, antelope, mule deer, bighorn sheep, or African game.

Jim Thompson

Live From The Tree

If I was going to travel and spend a bunch of money to hunt, it wouldn't be for whitetails. It would be elk, moose, caribou, antelope, mule deer, bighorn sheep, or African game.

I'm glad none of those give me any serious interest cause then I would spend time (money) on those as well. No way I would ever consider trying to replace any of my whitetail time.

Although the thought of tingle over a water hole in Africa gives me a little tingle and a smile. That would be good

Jim Boyd

I gotta be with David on this one.

I am 100% deer.

The only other thing that really interests me would elk archery in NM CO etc.

I am at SC lease today working and having a blast. Three buddies and two wives down, steak and beverages tonight - and it is cool enough for a fire.

I genuinely love this but my hunts for the year - the ones that really get my motor going - are the Illinois archery hunts.

It is world class opportunities for a semi worn out old man and I am thankful I can go.

I wish everyone could have hunts - no matter the type - that please them they way mine do me.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
I gotta be with David on this one.

I am 100% deer.

The only other thing that really interests me would elk archery in NM CO etc.

I am at SC lease today working and having a blast. Three buddies and two wives down, steak and beverages tonight - and it is cool enough for a fire.

I genuinely love this but my hunts for the year - the ones that really get my motor going - are the Illinois archery hunts.

It is world class opportunities for a semi worn out old man and I am thankful I can go.

I wish everyone could have hunts - no matter the type - that please them they way mine do me.

I do. I love to hunt as much as anybody on earth, and every hunt I go on is much appreciated, and a good hunt.

Mr Bya Lungshot

BANNED LUNATIC FRINGE
For me its Ga whitetail. I was born here and here is where it would mean the most to me. I wanna big one not just big but really big. Not the record or nothing but jus as big as they get here.
The challenge of that day is what drives me.
I don’t care to drive to do it elsewhere anymore. Here means more to me than size from elsewhere. So I’ll wait for the real big one here. And have just as much fun eating the little ones.

Wayne D Davis

For me its Ga whitetail. I was born here and here is where it would mean the most to me. I wanna big one not just big but really big. Not the record or nothing but jus as big as they get here.
The challenge of that day is what drives me.
I don’t care to drive to do it elsewhere anymore. Here means more to me than size from elsewhere. So I’ll wait for the real big one here. And have just as much fun eating the little ones.
I feel the same way. There's some incredible bucks in Georgia. Besides the amount of money I spend here alone is up there. Could only imagine traveling long distance. I've learned to love what I have right here in my home state. Should I hit the jackpot i may consider Kansas a few times but my heart is still here

greg j

Anyone looking for land and is open to other areas of the country would be smart to check out the Upper Peninsula of Michigan. Very cheap compared to land in the southeast. I go up there every summer....not many folks up there, but the ones you run into are good country folk too

Here are some examples:
https://www.landwatch.com/default.aspx?ct=r&type=5,51;267,7128;268,6843&r.PSIZ=300,800&sort=PR_A

This^^^^^^^^^^^^ Last time i was up there for a fishing trip, my son and i took a little ride on some of the roads in/on the "stonington peninsula" and saw so many deer in the pastures we stopped counting after 200 deer in a 10 mile stretch. This was in the last week of Sept. 2019. Its mostly small farms and they are covered up in deer.
Looked at a piece of property that was 80 acres w/ a small camp that was priced at $84k. Just too far from Carrollton, ga where i am living now.

Latest posts