picking up a mossberg maverick 88

outdoorman

later this week from WM. It has the 28 in barrel and a choke (Improved cylinder?).
Anyway, I going to begin hunting for rabbits and squirrels and need some advice on whether 7 1/2 shot (what I have) will work for hunting these around field edges and in the woods.

The Original Rooster

Mayor of Spring Hill
It will work but 7.5's will tear them up pretty bad. If you can luck up and find some, get some 4's or 6's.

Hillbilly stalker

Them 88's are good shotguns despite the lower price. Their real close to being a Mossberg 500. Don't make the mistake of shooting a turkey load thru it tho.....you better have your dentist on speed dial.

What choke size comes stock in the 88. I have one and like it. Do need to get a few extra chokes though since the shotgun doesn't come with extra ones

BrukeIn

7 1/2 will tear up the small animals by huge opened wounds. That' not a good option for rabbits hunt.

ugajay

7.5 shot will be fine if that's what you got. And that maverick is a dang good shotgun for the money. I love taking it duck hunting with friends who have benelli super black eagles, and out shooting them with it

outdoorman

Them 88's are good shotguns despite the lower price. Their real close to being a Mossberg 500. Don't make the mistake of shooting a turkey load thru it tho.....you better have your dentist on speed dial.

Would you explain? I don't know about turkey loads. Are they meant for a diff type of shotgun? Is there a diff shell for hunting turkeys with this shotgun?

ugajay

Would you explain? I don't know about turkey loads. Are they meant for a diff type of shotgun? Is there a diff shell for hunting turkeys with this shotgun?
He's saying the gun will knock your teeth out. It kicks like a mule with a heavy load in it

ol bob

I shoot a 88 with TSS and its the sweetest turkey I've ever shot. Ever time it goes bang a turkey dies.

Hillbilly stalker

I shoot a Winchester #5 , 2oz. load 3 inch shell in my 870 and my 11-87. Killer patterns. When I first got my 88, I tried the same load...it’s a little lighter gun, and I don’t know if it’s the shape of the comb or stock or what, but if you shoot it once, you won’t shoot it a second time for a $5 bill. It kicks twice as hard and even worse than a Mossberg 835 with a 3 1/2 inch shell. It does great on squirrels and rabbits tho. Turkey loads are a lot hotter.

ol bob

Hardest kicking gun I ever owned was a 870 never had anyone shoot it twice sended it back to the factory and ended up giving it away.