Pics of backcountry camps

chrislibby88

The last time I found a homemade table in a back country camp it turned out to be the remains of an old grow operation. 1eyefishing and I both stumbled onto this remote camp several years apart and he was able to give me the background on it which he had heard from law-enforcement.
View attachment 1024551
Explains the trash. Joe Rogan podcast had a California game warden on one of his podcasts. The game warden spent a good portion of his career battling backcountry grow ops on public land, and had some pretty nasty stories to tell. They would set out poison, divert creeks, spill chemicals and fertilizer, etc.

Stump06

Got to wanting to see some more pics/story's of backcountry camps and realized I never posed pics from my trip. Figured id kill 2 birds with 1 stone. Feel free to add more to this thread. I love seeing/hearing about trips.

Big7

The Oracle
I got a Grand Caravan that everything collapses flush with the floor except the 2 front seats.
I've fixed everything on it but the radiator has a tiny pin hole that I already got a sheet metal screw and o- ring to fix that or I might just put in a new one.

I got some business to take care of right now but in about 9- 10 months, there will be a Cabella's (sp) cot in there with storage space underneath
for guns and rods and I need a few DC items and prolly add another deep cycle battery. Should be good to go.

I WILL be hitting the road out west. Never been west of the Mississippi except I flew into Jackson one time on business but didn't get to do anything.

Fixing to turn the Grand Caravan into a serious "boon- docker". Solar shower and all.

That's what got me thinking about a Glock 20.
10MM 15+1 Should do the trick if something tried to eat me while I'm fishing. ?

I got a wheelgun in .357 Rem Mag, a G3 17+1 in 9MM and another 12+ 1 Millennium Pro in 9MM
but I don't think I want to be under gunned in Grizzly country. ?

Last edited:

Stump06

Cool.
Is that a black hunter bow? I have one and love it.
Yes, wanted to get into trad but didn't want to spend a lot. It is an awesome little bow for the money. Killed several deer and pigs with it, no bears with it yet ;)

Mattval

Hey guys I'm still a newbie. On wma or National forest can I set up camp anywhere? Like hike way back and do this here in Georgia? I do not know the rules.

Big7

The Oracle
Hey guys I'm still a newbie. On wma or National forest can I set up camp anywhere? Like hike way back and do this here in Georgia? I do not know the rules.
Not sure about NF but the WMA's have designated areas. A lot of them have level small "lots" and steel fire ring. Look in the regs for the ND or WMA you are going to camp at.

And.. If I can't find something or something is not clear or questionable, call DNR and ask A Ranger, not a desk jockey. They will usually take your number and have a Ranger call you back. I don't know if they have ever gave me a Ranger's cell- but they don't block the number. Then you can save the number in your phone.

Most of them are pretty cool if you are trying to get info. Some of them can be a pain if they catch you doing something that's not in the regs- and they will say you should have called first.

And... I've seen signs posted in some places where NOT to camp. In Redlands, you just have to be off the main roads. Not sure if they have a "designated" camping area. That do mean there ain't one- just I never seen it and I just pull over far enough so I'm not blocking the road. Oconee WMA has a camp ground.

splatek

UAEC
Yes, wanted to get into trad but didn't want to spend a lot. It is an awesome little bow for the money. Killed several deer and pigs with it, no bears with it yet ;)

Yessir. Adorable and effective. I’ve used mine to knock down some deer. Used a different trad bow to get my first bear but I know it would’ve done the job.

jbogg

On regular NF you can camp anywhere you like, just practice Leave No Trace. There are unofficial campsites all over the WMA roads in the mountains so I’m guessing you can camp wherever you want since it is NF. I’m aware that on a WMA that is not within NF camping is restricted to designated campsites only.

Professor

I use a double nest eno that I’ve had for about 6 years or so. The house fly tarp I like because the ends can enclose for bad wind or rain. I’ve been kept dry and warm in some pretty bad conditions by enclosing the ends.
View attachment 1023988View attachment 1023989
I really want to try a hammock for back country, but I would have to be up in the trees. Something about the hammock tent just looks like a breakfast burrito. I want to hear a bear coming.

kingfish

Saw a pic of a public land hunter who took a 2 axle utility trailer and put a large truck camper in the back and secured it. Had an AC in the back window and in the rest of the trailer he had his stands, grills, generators, folding chairs and plastic totes etc. On the back rail he had a skinning pole with a winch and gambrel hooked up. A really sweet set up. Love reading these posts.