Pictorial Memorial for my Dad...

notnksnemor

The Great and Powerful Oz
Our prayers are with you and your family.
You honored me by sharing some of your fathers stories as well as sharing your boat this past spring fishing in St. Marks.
Life takes all of us in many different directions. We have control of some, others we don't.
Again, mine and my wife's prayers for you and yours.
If we can be of help, you've got my contact info.
God Bless!

Jeff C.

Chief Grass Master
Cool thread 1eye, thanks for sharing and sorry for your loss.

Cmp1

BANNED
Great right here,,,, wish I had some pic's of my Dad, I know a lot about his life but wouldn't be as cohesive as yours,,,,

1eyefishing

...just joking, seriously.
Because he had no means to pay alimony and child support, and in order to escape the vicious wrath of my mother and to find gainful employment, dad wound up with a part time sales and part-time golf pro position at the upstart Carolina Shores Golf and Country Club just outside of Calabash, North Carolina. Mother sent me down there to live with him (for the summer of '74) just to spite him and cramp his single man lifestyle. Dad was then renting a mobile home (sans the mobile home park) on a lot in Little River, South Carolina. Soon, his personality and drive to succeed we're working for him again. He won a sales contest and was awarded a brand new Cadillac Coupe Deville. It was looong and white! With his improved income, we were able to rent a house in North Myrtle Beach a block and a half off the oceanfront for the rest of the summer. Dad's golfing friendships and abilities soon led him to be buddies with South Carolina congressman John Jenrette (Abscam) and his Playboy Bunny wife, Rita. Subsequently, he also began to rub shoulders with a self-made millionaire named Paul Brown and his wife Phyllis George. Paul Brown was soon to become the governor of Kentucky.
Mr. Brown had recently purchased an exclusive establishment (Le Club Internationale) on the Intercoastal waterway in Fort Lauderdale, Florida. He needed a membership drive and a personable manager, and decided that Dad was just a man for the job. Instantly, dad was off to South Florida, leaving me with the beach house (he rented the other three bedrooms to three students from WVU) his old beat-up Jeep Wagoneer for the rest of the summer.
This is where I must interject a funny side note about the summer of my coming of age. I was old enough to acquire my learner's permit (15 and 8 months) in Virginia, just before my mom mother sent me to stay with Dad for the summer. In order to get my very first job in North Myrtle Beach (at the Piggly Wiggly), I had to get a state ID stating that I was a resident of South Carolina. I went down to the Sheriff's Department to pick up a form to get the state issued ID. They told me to have my dad sign it and bring it back. He signed it, I filled it out saying my birthday was 3 years earlier ('55 instead of '58, easy typo to make ha!). Immediately had an ID saying I was 18 and could get into all the beer joints up and down the beach. As soon as dad left town for Florida, I marched down to the DMV and traded my ID for a driver's license that said I was 18! Now I was in business with a beach house, an old Jeep, and a fake ID driver's license that said I was 18 years old! I was 15 years old. It was one heck of a summer, mother never even knew that Dad wasn't in Myrtle Beach with me!
Of course, it all had to end at some point and I went back to Virginia Beach for another year of high school.
Unfortunately, few pictures from this era as there was no wife or girlfriend of dad's to take them and leave them behind...
Up next, a few stories about Dad's second career in South Florida...ezgif.com-resize (12).jpg

1eyefishing

Thanks all. Dad had a very interesting life for sure, and I definitely had a lot of fond memories and respect...

1eyefishing

So the very next summer, my mother thought once again she would ruin it for us both again. She sent me down to Fort Lauderdale to stay with Dad for good. But it was like throwing Brer Rabbit back in the Briar Patch. I never wanted anything more than to get away from her and be with Dad. Dad had on several occasions step between me and her doing her vicious belt whippings. She was even known to continue lashing at him with the belt till he physically subdued her

1eyefishing

He had stood up for me on many occasions when I was getting wrongfully blamed. We bonded well.
Anyway, after graduating high school he gave me the valet concession at the club. I heard my friends to park cars and they paid me a dollar per car. Made a lot of money, dealt with a lot of celebrities, and had a great time! A lot of what went on can't be repeat it on this form, I'll just say it was remarkable.
This is where he met his next wife, Sally who was eventually more of a mother figure to me than my own mother.ezgif.com-resize (14).jpg

Last edited:

1eyefishing

Sally was often scantily clad, but those were the times. She was making a living as a dancer (not the naked kind obviously) and a model even though she had an architectural design degree from Smith college up north.
She sure could play pretty and dumb. But she was one Smart and tough cookie.
ezgif.com-resize (16).jpg
ezgif.com-resize (17).jpgezgif.com-resize (21).jpg

1eyefishing

Dad fit right in with the rich and the famous, even though he was not rich and famous.
A few months ago I posted the picture of Dad and OJ Simpson and my back and Nicole Brown Simpson on the tennis courts at the club. Can't find it now...
Liberace like to party with Dad. I recall him and his bunch coming back to our house late night after partying several times...ezgif.com-resize (31).jpg

1eyefishing

Here is dad and Sally with their friends at 'Cowboys' during the Urban Cowboy fad.
On the far right is Glenn Braswell. He was a millionaire with several homes in the Fort Lauderdale area. I was employed for a while as his gopher, groundskeeper, and boat washer. Later he was in prison serving time for mail fraud (man boosting supplements that didn't quite boost your manhood) when Bill Clinton gave him a presidential pardon on his last day in office.
On the left is another millionaire, Barry Paul, who made his money in the oil crisis of the early 70s. When Barry built a waste oil refinery in Fairburn Georgia, he brought Dadezgif.com-resize (32).jpg up to the Atlanta area to help him deal with financing and bureaucracy and other red tape.
Thus ends the south Florida chapter.
Third career coming up!

PS-Wes and Janet in the rear moved to California to work on her modeling career. Never heard from them again hardly.

notnksnemor

The Great and Powerful Oz
Every time I watch an old episode of "In the Heat of the Night" I think about the story you told about the plantation house.
(y)