Pictorial Memorial for my Dad...

notnksnemor

The Great and Powerful Oz
I move the mods make this a sticky (at least for a while) so we don't have to chase it around to follow.
Do I hear a second?

1eyefishing

...just joking, seriously.
I move the mods make this a sticky (at least for a while) so we don't have to chase it around to follow.
Do I hear a second?
Friends, I'm truly honored.
It gives me a lump in my throat to think that my dad's story could be have such interest here.
I am honored to tell it...

notnksnemor

The Great and Powerful Oz
Friends, I'm truly honored.
It gives me a lump in my throat to think that my dad's story could be have such interest here.
I am honored to tell it...

Well, don't just sit there, get jiggy with the story....

:cheers::cheers:

1eyefishing

The Georgia chapter is good.
It is the most recent and freshest in my mind.
It is somewhat complicated and covers the longest amount of time.
For these reasons it is hard to condense to just a few paragraphs.
This has been churning in my mind for over a month and a half. Hope you don't mind that it takes a few days to complete the entire story...
Back at it tomorrow...

1eyefishing

Dad and Bones at Dad's 50th graduation anniversary. 2008.
ezgif.com-resize (42).jpg

Silver Britches

Official Sports Forum Birthday Thread Starter
You have a lot of great pics. Again, thanks for sharing with us. (y)

Browning Slayer

Official Voice Of The Dawgs !
You are a gifted writer,

He's not a bad fisherman either!

Good pics brother, keep em coming! Got your text last night. Didn't get home until dark and still had to unload the truck. I'll give you a shout later.

1eyefishing

You are a gifted writer,Corbett!
Thank you, but...
Not really, I just use a lot of complicated sentence structure that makes the reader go back and read it twice so he can better understand it! Ha!

Okay, I got the thinking machine back up and running, and I'm starting to smell the wood smoke.
It'll spit something out here in a minute...

1eyefishing

So I guess it's time to move dad and Sally up here to Georgia from Florida. This is really when he started to develop his Midas Touch. Everything he did turned to gold.
He came up here

1eyefishing

He came up here initially to help Barry Paul (mentioned earlier) build a waste oil refinery in Fairburn. I looked for it recently on Google Maps but couldn't find it. It was Just north of Highway 74 and east of the tracks there in the industrial neighborhood. They collected waste oil from around the town, service stations, oil change places, fleet service shops, anywhere there was used oil. It was refined in a small distillery in about 5,000 gallon batches. It sold as a fuel oil that fueled those giant asphalt turning machines you would occasionally see around any highway build that mixes and melts the asphalt.
He 'traded equity' in the house he had bought in Fort Lauderdale for $80k for a house on Peachtree Battle Circle. In the heart of old-money Buckhead. The couple who live there moved to live in his house in Fort Lauderdale.
This is about the time he called me to Georgia. February 1983. I had fallen out from under his wing for a few years and worked odd jobs and moved up to Indialantic and Melbourne, Florida, and then to Virginia Beach again furthering my infamous and highly non-lucrative surfing career.
Dad wanted me to learn the business, get my own waste oil truck going and help him build a business.
I figured if I made a little money real quick I could go back to the beach and surf for a good while before I had to get the next job. Ha! Small world I lived in!

1eyefishing

But Dad bought a 4000 gallon tanker (straight rig).
I got a class B CDL.
While Barry Paul's bunch were playing small ball chasing waste oil out of 55 gallon drums and small tanks behind the service stations, dad acquired large reserves of fuel and oil from industry, the military and other large sources. I drove that truck all over the southeast. I got really good at reading the old-style paper road maps. We had contracts with sources like Georgia Power, the Marine Corps logistics base in Moultrie, Starving Marvin, Southwire, TVA, etc. I was regularly in South Carolina, Savannah, Moultrie, Bainbridge, and Eastern Tennessee. I may have been gone a full day or three to pick up a load, but when I came back we had more oil than a waste oil truck could produce in a month.
As dad's business relationship with mr. Paul fizzled, we had to come up with some place to store the oil. Dad leased a small tank farm from Southwire in Carrollton. We had three 30,000 gallon upright tanks and two huge pancake style tanks of about 500,000 gallons each. It was all connected by pipes and pumps and including a loading and unloading dock for tanker trucks. Perfect. I moved from Buckhead to Carrollton to do the work. I based the tanker truck there, lived in a small apartment just off the West Georgia College campus. Also met my first wife here.

Last edited:

1eyefishing

Meanwhile, dad struck up a deal to trade equity again. This time for the 15,000 square-foot Antebellum mansion in Covington. Just when I was getting in stride an hour west of Atlanta, he moves an hour East!

Now it's time to go get a few pics ready...

1eyefishing

I saw and openen this book for the first time today...ezgif.com-resize (43).jpg
The first paragraph in the chapter about dad's 'Whitehall' begins:
"Covington's most monumentally imposing house is a Greek Revival Mansion fronting upon Franklin Wright Park and located almost opposite the Episcopal Church of the Good Shepherd."it goes on to describe the chain of ownership from the original Flanagan family and then was part of the John Harris and judge John P Harris all pre Civil War.

Here are a few paragraphs and the following page.
I didn't believe in ghosts before I spent a few nights there, but I believe there is something there.
And I don't believe there are ghosts anywhere else...:rofl:

ezgif.com-resize (46).jpg
ezgif.com-resize (45).jpg
ezgif.com-resize (45).jpg

The single widowed lady who I believe was a descendant of the Harris's moved into my dad old place in Buckhead. She had been living here alone with her dogs.

Last edited:

1eyefishing

My pics are better than those in the book.
Dad and Sally renewed their vows there.
ezgif.com-resize (47).jpg
The mirror on the left side of the foyer is about 8 ft tall with hand blown glass. The ceilings on the first two floors are 12ft.
Upstairs there was an older less glamorous mirror attached on top of a giant foot locker. It was also eight feet tall by 4 ft wide. Pretty sure it was original to the house and it just gave me the absolute heebie-jeebies when I looked in it thinking of all those who had looked in it before me.

Last edited: