Picture of a gar I cleaned

Josh B

I thought I would share a picture of a gar back straps. A lot of guys say they never tried it. I just cut down the center of the back with tin snips. Skin peels back and just work the straps out like a deer. I made gar taco’s last night. 7BF342BF-0F0C-4226-8C26-CBF1AEC6D65D.jpeg

Attachments

• 1A813F4D-20AB-4051-81BB-3D0B88BB2E5A.jpeg
    1A813F4D-20AB-4051-81BB-3D0B88BB2E5A.jpeg
    286.4 KB · Views: 348

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
I’ve had it a few times , mighty good !

Batjack

Cap`n Jack 1313
That looks like some clean meat. Can you slice about the thickness of diver scallops and saute them on each side in a little butter and white wine and garlic, parsley.
I was just going to mention doing that. You truly can't tell the difference.

trad bow

wooden stick slinging driveler
Good pics. Shows it perfectly. Some mighty fine eating.

Anvil Head

I like mine on Kabob skewers with all the veggies, bacon and good hot sauce marinade. Good eats right there!

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I think gar are excellent eating. Fried, blackened, sauteed, grilled, however. Just don't overcook it, or it'll be chewy. Doesn't taste like fish really, more of a lobster/ gator tail cross.

ryanh487

I'm gonna have to try that. How are you dispatching them for the cooler? Trying to decide if I should get a fish bat for the boat or if the bait knife to the gills is worth the cooler cleanup from all the blood. I've turned loose the gar I've caught so far but the next one is coming home.

Anvil Head

I made a short knocker from an old shovel handle. Weighted the business end, little tap on the noggin is all it takes. Keep em on ice.

Anvil Head

Or you can just back strap them in the boat (get more in the ice chest that way).