Piedmont NWR 1st trip do and donts

Mac

I checked every post on here and not much info.
Seems most folks hunt the northern part.
I will be there for the first time PW with a friend.
So Following

hambone76

Lots of land, lots of hunters. A lot of folks go find the big open ridges and bottoms where they can “cover some real estate” and that usually works during the rut. I’d concentrate on finding the does, the bucks won’t be far away. The road systems make it hard to go deep into certain areas, so expect to have other hunters walk in on you. Do your homework, scout an area well and you’ll see deer. If the weather is cool, I’d hunt all day. Good luck.

delacroix

BANNED
It's a mess. Hunt travel funnels to catch them coming away from the crowd. And if there's someone already parked there go to your next spot. Nobody will be impressed if you only had the one spot scouted.

Mattval

Hey how do you hunt that? Do you need to get a permit from somewhere?

Twiggbuster

Beautiful woods. Been years and years since we hunted it. Campground is fun. We listen to Braves( before cellphones) in 95 World Series. Whole camp went up when we scored. One year, 88 I think, I scouted beforehand for 4 family members. Got there early and few trucks there already. Nephew said heck with that and went on opposite side of road alone. Killed 8 pt getting pushed out.
Got his photo at check station and ended up in corner of GON cover. Good times!!
I stayed in woods till 2 and shot doe in group that was on the move. Lot of hunters, lot of deer, lot of shootun !

Timberman

It’s a fun hunt.

I have about 20 places that I like. If there’s a truck at one I move on. I’ve never had to go to more than a 3rd or 4th spot.

If you can’t get up there and scout just find a place without a truck walk in and jack up a tree. You’ll do just as good imo

SouthPaw Draw

GONetwork, GWF and NTWF Member
Use to hunt there every year, walk as far as you can from the road and stay all day and hunt. We would pack lunch and walk over a mile to get to our area and stay all day. The camp was an interesting place, some serious parties goin on until LE would come in at night and make everybody go to bed after the mandated quiet time. I think the campground is closed this year too. PM me and I can give you directions to the area we use to hunt.

marknga

GONetwork Member
Beautiful woods. Been years and years since we hunted it. Campground is fun. We listen to Braves( before cellphones) in 95 World Series. Whole camp went up when we scored. One year, 88 I think, I scouted beforehand for 4 family members. Got there early and few trucks there already. Nephew said heck with that and went on opposite side of road alone. Killed 8 pt getting pushed out.
Got his photo at check station and ended up in corner of GON cover. Good times!!
I stayed in woods till 2 and shot doe in group that was on the move. Lot of hunters, lot of deer, lot of shootun !
yes the campground was chopping that night! What a great memory. Everybody listening to the game on the radio and then the Chop chant echoing across the campground. Wonderful memories!