Piedmont NWR info (Covid edition)

Dutch

AMERICAN WARRIOR
Just got off the phone with a Ranger at Piedmont. Hunts will be held, but you have to call for applications. As of now and to the foreseeable future the campground is closed due to Covid. Check in will be drive through, with hunter staying in their vehicle. There is limited primitive camping in the ONF, but that could change.

I am still going, despite this.

Mac

I too called the other day, Got my applications in the mail yesterday.
I understand they have to be back by noon 26th to be considered.

tdc4dade4

I received my quota hunt card today , and yes it states on the card about campground closer, Which is fine I'll just be camping at Indain springs state park like I did last year.

Dutch

AMERICAN WARRIOR
1st time in 30 years of applying for the Primitive weapon hunt I did not get drawn.:banginghe Got my 2nd choice which was the 2nd Rifle hunt.

Going to be crowded the 1st two hunts, since the lady I talked to said both hunts are full.

Seems alot folks going to be hunting public land this year.

coon hunter

We got the 1st rifle hunt again this year. Anybody open to give a few tips for the place? Not honey holes just tips in general

Dutch

AMERICAN WARRIOR
Several of my friends did not draw the primitive weapon hunt. I guess everyone is putting in now.

Especially since modern scoped inline's are allowed. Hardly anyone hunted it it when it was old school muzzle loaders

Mac

Buddy and I got the ML hunt. I think I read every thread on Piedmont NWR, no one shared any info on places to hunt. LOL

Appears most people concentrate on the Northern half of the property and talk about leaving camp at 4 AM to secure a parking spot where they have placed their stand.

This will be our first trip to the NWR and are hoping for a good experience.