Pig Brig trapping system

Addicted to Antlers

Pig Brig says one person installation. I am ordering soon and installing. Will have multiple Spartan Go-Lives monitoring. I got to figure out what to do with all the dead hogs. Can only pack so much in my freezer. Need to save room for venison in September.

mossyoakpro

Pig Brig says one person installation. I am ordering soon and installing. Will have multiple Spartan Go-Lives monitoring. I got to figure out what to do with all the dead hogs. Can only pack so much in my freezer. Need to save room for venison in September.

I have a couple friends with backhoes....works great

Howard Roark

Retired Moderator
I’m sure people get tired of me dogging the state,for legalizing baiting…but I can absolutely say that our local hog population didn’t explode until year round corn slingers became legal. We’d see a hog every now & then before that. Now…I trap 20-30 a year off of our little farm. Within a mile radius..we’ve caught>250 over the last 2 years(that I know of)..?
yep. If you feed them, they will come.

longrangedog

I have in the past dumped dead hogs on remote parts of my property but have stopped since reading that wildlife that feeds on the carcass (bears) can catch the multitude of diseases that feral hogs are know to carry. My county landfill disposes of them safely.

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
I’m sure people get tired of me dogging the state,for legalizing baiting…but I can absolutely say that our local hog population didn’t explode until year round corn slingers became legal. We’d see a hog every now & then before that. Now…I trap 20-30 a year off of our little farm. Within a mile radius..we’ve caught>250 over the last 2 years(that I know of)..?
Do you really think the population has increased that much ? The reason I ask is it’s been legal to feed for a long time . I just don’t think that much more corn is being put out just because u can hunt over it . The area I’ve hunted my entire life on the Ocmulgee river has always had hogs and I feel like the population has decreased with baiting because so many more get shot by deer hunters .

Doug B.

I have in the past dumped dead hogs on remote parts of my property but have stopped since reading that wildlife that feeds on the carcass (bears) can catch the multitude of diseases that feral hogs are know to carry. My county landfill disposes of them safely.
What do they do that makes it safe?

ShortMagFan

Wouldn’t bother me if every coyote, raccoon, possum and buzzard that ate a dead pig for sick and died

I left one large and one small boar in a field a month or so ago with a camera on it. Buzzards cleaned up 99pct of it in 2-3 days

Hillbilly stalker

I don’t think scavengers like coyotes and such will feed on a diseased carcasses, they can smell when it ain’t right. I would have to see it for myself. I believe that’s why some hogs are ate and why some lay and rot.

davel

Yep, folks in Oklahoma and Texas are raising wild hogs under deer feeders.

Several years ago i began fencing my feeders. A 24" fence made of split cattle panels keeps out > 80 percent of wild hogs. A fence made of pig panels keeps out all the hogs.

This feeder fence is pig panel with two sections cut back to 28" so fawns can jump in. There are two concrete blocks on either side at one cut down section that assist my 82 year old butt over the fence. i left the outside concrete block against the fence and two large boars got in. Caught one boar in a snare and shot the other. No hogs have gotten in since then.

0Qcy1YQl.jpg
This is what we use around all our feeders. It works. Had a big boar go over the top...realized he was in a fence and got out quick. Never even tried to get to the feeder.

north_ga fireman

corn is not the problem where we live, don't have any feeders yet hogs are running wild killed near 60 in the last year alone and still have them

From what I understand from the State Veterinarian is that letting the scavengers eat a more than likely infected hog, and should that animal then defecate in a pasture then cattle, horses, goats, sheep, dogs, etc. can be infected. The main concern is brucellosis which, according to the state, infects a really high percentage of wild hogs. Recommendations is to forget revenge and bury the dead hogs so the surrounding ecosystem is not contaminated with the brucellosis or other harmful bacteria & pathogens.

HogKillaDNR

corn is not the problem where we live, don't have any feeders yet hogs are running wild killed near 60 in the last year alone and still have them

Can I come help? Have gun will travel lol