Pig camp - part 2

georgia_home

Sometimes I wonder why this thread is called “spot and stalk”… maybe it’s just me, but mostly it’s either “sit and wait” or “stumble and… WHERE DID THAT COME FROM” :huh:

Well, it was a little different for me today. First thing in the morning, on my way to the deer “sit”, I heard the hogs down working the edge of the swamp. It was a little to early to shoot, as in too dark to see, so I skirted around and went to where I thought the deer would be working.

While on my deer “sit”, 5 minutes after getting settled in, I heard the grunts coming through the woods. I looked up and there were 3 hogs coming my way. A short wait, BOOM BOOM, “sit and wait” paid off.

The hog was hit, and dying, but still wailing. I went over and hit him 1 more time. Ok… it was just about 650, still early and I wasn’t ready to leave or butcher. I went back to my chair and had a seat. I called my hunting buddies who were stuck working today, and told them about the hog. As I was about to hang up, I heard more noise. I told the one guy to hang on and listen to the shot. Well… then didn’t exactly come over, so I just sat there watching… for about 20 minutes. Finally, they started to move, but in the wrong direction, up hill and away. BUMMER!!!

Well, as I said, I figured it was time to do something else besides “sit and wait” so I decided to do “run around and get in front of”. After a short run a few hundred yards up the other hill, I got in front of them. THAT WAS GOOD!!!! There were 6, but only one was close enough. So… I opened up, and dropped him with 1 shot. Man, that thing squealed loud and long!!! Spine shot and dying slow. Dispatched with a dose of 00buck.

All in all, a good day!!! Both hogs were small, but should be tender eating. Here is a cell phone pic and even better, a TC pic of the hogs doing their end run. Kind of a good before / after pic of the brown 1. That one I didn’t get, at the front of the pic looks pretty big!!! Would have been nice to tag that one.

hope you enjoy the pics... sorry for the grainy cell phone pic!!! its all i had with me.

Attachments

• 110810_0958a.jpg
    110810_0958a.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 819
  • MDGC0023.jpg
    MDGC0023.jpg
    235.2 KB · Views: 819
Last edited: