Planning for the fall

PURVIS

Hi guys it's been a few years since I have had a chance to even think about fishing but at 57 I know life is sure passing me by fast I fished out of Saint Mary's for about 4 years and have found some great spots but have always wanted to make my way around to Christmas creek in the fall season but from the paper charts and my Lowrance the water looks a little shallow getting in I like to keep a few feet under me and at 16 inch's I start to rub a bit with a full load is it worth the trip and should I just suck it up and go the same goes for the Tiger Basin on the fl side it looks like a great place on the charts I have just never made the trip I have some good spots but you can never have to many I know there are lots the boat ramp is always full and I never see but a few boats I have not fished since Michael blew through and I know things have changed I hope for the good.Great to be back reading about the fishing on our coast.

Rhodes

The few times I went into Christmass creek I went in the back thru the marsh on a rising tide and went out on the ocean side before the tide fell below mid tide so I had about a six hour window to fish. You can find the back way in by zooming in on Google earth. I had a 17 1/2 foot Key West at the time.

PURVIS

Rhodes you do any good and what time of year was it I have heard the fall is the time to fish it you guys put in on the Jekyll side?I have gotten use to fishing out of Saint Marys I hope to start back to going this fall we sure miss it.

Cumberlandjg

In the St Marys area in my opinion the best fishing I've had has been late fall/winter more towards November, December and January the past two years.

massafibassa

Been to Christmas Creek a few times, good fishing in the fall . Went flounder gigging one night on the way back out was one scary ride. Water was rough along with getting boat stuck sideways on sandbar. That was my last trip out there.

Rhodes

Rhodes you do any good and what time of year was it I have heard the fall is the time to fish it you guys put in on the Jekyll side?

We done OK best I remember. It was in September I believe. We caught a few trout, reds, and flounder but didn't mop up by any means. It's been several years since I've went in there. I usually fish in the Brickhill river behind Cumberland and also around Jekyll and yes we always launch on Jekyll.

jasper181

The entrtance has a tendancy to shift slightly one year to the next, If you decide to come out before high tide id suggest no later than 4-4.5 hours after high. The fishing is pretty good year round, Ive caught spawing trout in the spring and summer as well as big reds in the fall. Its much like Mcqueen a little closer to me , Ive seen a few boats screw up and just about sink going in. Ive had it swing a 21ft cc complety 180 around with me in it the other direction like it was nothing. So be careful going in the front side but if you go in a few hours after low theres enough water to get in but you can still see the shoals, look carefully going in and you can see the path to take. The last time I was there we headed south along Cumberland about 100 yards offshore and hung a hard right, looked for the "road" and I was good. Once there you will know what I mean by the "road", the water in the corect path has a different look than the water around it.

Last edited: