Plantation Duck Club 2020-2021

ghadarits

Squealer is that barnyard grass in your picture a variety that puts off beneficial seed it doesn't look like you've tried to deter it? I think Jap millet is considered a species of barnyard grass also.

Mexican Squealer

Squealer is that barnyard grass in your picture a variety that puts off beneficial seed it doesn't look like you've tried to deter it? I think Jap millet is considered a species of barnyard grass also.

Yes sir...I put as much attention into my byg as I do my smartweed....it’s an awesome food source and you are correct. Jap Millet is nothing more than “domesticated” byg. The wild Millet (byg) seems hardier though. Ducks love it.

jdgator

How is the wood duck hatch looking this year, Mexican Squealer? And do you have any sense of whether they compete with black-bellied whistlers?

Mexican Squealer

Wood ducks appear plentiful...at first I believed the wood ducks and black bellies competed but the opinions of biologists and personal observation shows that the wood ducks are out of the box before the black bellies use them. I’m installing a whole bunch of boxes this winter so next year I’ll have a better gauge on it...assuming the whistlers return.

mizzippi jb

Welcome back.
You'll have to take time out of your busy day in mid October to go fish with us around barn and post office. If you're too busy to fish, maybe you can point us in the direction of some good seafood ;)