Plantation Duck Club 2020-2021

Mexican Squealer

Yep, I took those pics yesterday afternoon. Biggest difference in swamp smartweed and nodding is that swamp is a perennial and nodding is an annual like Pennsylvania. Swamp is considered inferior as a food source to annual smartweeds but I know ducks still like it

MudDucker

Staff member
Where do you get your smartweed. I tried it one year from a supplier in Texas if I remember right and was not impressed.

ghadarits

Where do you get your smartweed. I tried it one year from a supplier in Texas if I remember right and was not impressed.

When planting smartweed its best to plant a lot in a relatively small area to get it going. Once you get a good patch established its there until you put in a lot of effort to get rid of it or kill the whole area with pre-emergent. It took me a couple of years to get it dialed in but now I'll put down a thimble full of seed in a 10ftx10ft area to get a stand established and it seems to work 75% of the time on the first try. It'll take care of it self spreading out in that area from there. I bought my first 1/4 pound of seed from a supplier for like $30 a long time ago but now I harvest it from big stands for replanting in the spring. Its around a lot more than you probably realize. It grows everywhere not just in wetlands. Keep your eyes open for what Squealer posted above. Find the pink blooms and you'll most likely find more than you thought would be around and then you're in business. One of my best places to harvest smartweed seeds was at Peachtree Middle school in Dunwoody until they built the new baseball fields. It would grow 6ft tall in the ditches around the field where they didn't mow.

Mexican Squealer

I pick mine from established stands (mostly already on my farm) then freeze it or just spread it by the pocket full through out the winter. You can buy it on line from native nursery and probably some other suppliers. Picking your own is more efficient if you have a kid to do it for you. Just pull the flowers off and the black seeds will drop out when you rub it between your fingers.

Hooked On Quack

REV`REND DR LUV
I pick mine from established stands (mostly already on my farm) then freeze it or just spread it by the pocket full through out the winter. You can buy it on line from native nursery and probably some other suppliers. Picking your own is more efficient if you have a kid to do it for you. Just pull the flowers off and the black seeds will drop out when you rub it between your fingers.

Coming to see you this winter bro, I'll bring steaks n likker, not able to hunt

ghadarits

Yep, I took those pics yesterday afternoon. Biggest difference in swamp smartweed and nodding is that swamp is a perennial and nodding is an annual like Pennsylvania. Swamp is considered inferior as a food source to annual smartweeds but I know ducks still like it

Swamp is considered inferior as a food source to annual smartweeds but I know ducks still like it[

I agree theyll eat probably 20 different plants or seeds in most places that are more natural than not for variety if nothing else.

You can’t have steaks and likker every meal some times you have to mix it up and go with beer and wings.......

Mexican Squealer

you ever had any luck with row planted corn in your dryer fields

Yes the previous owner planted corn every year for many years. With the deer, flooding, drought, hurricane, having to fence it and other unpredictable issues, I don’t plant it. No doubt about how much the ducks love it though.