Plantation Duck Club 2020-2021

ghadarits

Prime time to harvest and transplant/store smartweed is when the seeds look like this...View attachment 1044534
Just for the record that picture is probably blown up 100 times. Think poppy seed or maybe twice the size of a poppy seed for scale. That’s some serious smartweed in those picture. Looks to be about a bizillion individual seeds.

Last edited:

ghadarits

"Love it! I’ve learned more about waterfowl habitat management in this thread than 20 years of reading ducks unlimited."

Me too! Mexican Squealer puts a lot of his hart and soul into his place. Way more effort than the average hunter would be willing to do. Of course most people don't have a place thats as conducive to improvement as he's got either. I say kudos to him for doing what he does I like to read about it and am always hoping the birds migrate for him and the rest of us too. Its a shame to set a table like he does and not have the guest show up for dinner but if you want them to come to your place when they are in the area they have to have a reason to be there and not two miles down the road.

Good on you Squealer!!

Last edited:

Mexican Squealer

Just for the record that picture is probably blown up 100 times. Think poppy seed or maybe twice the size of a poppy seed for scale. That’s some serious smartweed in those picture. Looks to be about a bizillion individual seeds.

I’d say most of my Pennsylvania seeds are closer to hemp seed size...Pic is definitely enlarged though. Nodding seeds are a somewhat smaller though. This was definitely the best smartweed crop I’ve ever seen. The table is set, we will see what comes to eat soon!

Mexican Squealer

Cut the smartweed in rows away from the blinds so I can run crawfish traps easier when the time comes. Mowed better landing areas around the blinds. Doing all I can to make a big footprint so the ducks can see it from way up. The food is so thick that you could flood it to the right depth and never see water. E8270F2E-ACF3-4542-B428-07920AE08AA6.png

Para Bellum

Mouth For War
Cut the smartweed in rows away from the blinds so I can run crawfish traps easier when the time comes. Mowed better landing areas around the blinds. Doing all I can to make a big footprint so the ducks can see it from way up. The food is so thick that you could flood it to the right depth and never see water. View attachment 1045799

Shoot yeah. They need to be able to see that water at night. Looks awesome.

Mexican Squealer

Started pumping up about 14 acres of Willow trees this evening. Saw some grey ducks, blue wings and 8-10 mallards. This willow pond is probably my favorite. Whole understory is smartweed then open out front with a good stand of byg, Walters millet, panic grass and sprangletop. 1DFA2731-4E2A-4A9F-AA72-3BF08D27D7BA.png009C0513-AC10-455E-867B-ABB5642D9E19.png03615199-7B7C-4562-B0D8-B4E1C6AD454D.png

Mexican Squealer

Hey guys,
It’s been a while no doubt! After a good teal season and an ok first season, things have tanked and since losing ducks early first week of second split. As usual, we have killed a decent variety but the numbers are terrible. Hopefully this front changes things. Went to La last week and hunting the same places I’ve hunted past 20 years. Killed one teal and 2 specks. Hope everyone is having a great season!