Planting Chestnut Tree's in Georgia

Stob

Useles Billy’s Uncle StepDaddy.
Hi All,

I have an uncle who collected, prepared and germinated a few Chestnuts from the trees in his back yard up in southern PA. He recently gave me five plants to bring back to Georgia, all about 12-18" tall and healthy.

I have read a few articles here and there around Chestnut tree's but know that there are quite a few tree experts on the forum here.

My question is, are there any things to look out for when planting here in the much warmer harder soiled (clay) south? He really took a lot of time with these and I want to ensure that I don't inadvertently do something stupid to kill them. I have never heard of keeping them in the refrigerator for moths and moths to prepare them for germination so I am quite fascinated by them.

Thanks for any help, advise and/or comments.

Jason

doomtrpr_z71

As long as you're still in the piedmont and don't mind watering them they'll be fine, if you are too far north they might pickup blight spores and die but nothing can be done about that.

longrangedog

Chinese chestnut trees (probably your variety) are blight resistant as are Dunstan chestnuts which are the old American chestnut tree with enough Chinese DNA to make them resistant as well. There aren't large stands of American chestnut trees left because the blight killed them in the early 1900's. Some Walmart stores have the Dunstan chestnut trees (in pots) for around $35.

fireman32

"Useless Billy" Fire Chief.
My brother in law planted just over 200 hybrid chestnut trees in Dooly Co. he lost 190 of them in their third year. Asian ambrosia beetles attacked them and a virus followed the beetle and killed the trees. These were fertilized and irrigated trees. I keep the trunks of the ones I planted sprayed with insecticide, especially in the spring and summer when they may stress from drought. So far they’ve made it 5 years. Still unsure if they’ll be safe from the beetle after they’re hard barked. Make sure you cage them as well, deer love the leaves and bucks will go out of their way to rub the trunk.

aaron batson

Mine are looking gooooood - and hopefully we are blessed with a heavy crop

Attachments

• 60D99F41-583E-4D16-A174-1335DDBFBB52.jpeg
    60D99F41-583E-4D16-A174-1335DDBFBB52.jpeg
    427.4 KB · Views: 71
  • D10FF757-4E1C-4949-894D-60194E6A10E3.jpeg
    D10FF757-4E1C-4949-894D-60194E6A10E3.jpeg
    600.4 KB · Views: 72
  • 2499D709-745B-4135-BFC8-58E2342579A1.jpeg
    2499D709-745B-4135-BFC8-58E2342579A1.jpeg
    371.2 KB · Views: 70
  • E98D49A9-FB13-49F1-80D8-2F1C95BBF1F9.jpeg
    E98D49A9-FB13-49F1-80D8-2F1C95BBF1F9.jpeg
    253.6 KB · Views: 67

Throwback

Chief Big Taw
I have three dunstans planted last year am hoping to get about 10 more this winter. Two are going well the third had some root issues I don’t expect it to make it

Stob

Useles Billy’s Uncle StepDaddy.
I transferred them to 5 gallon buckets for a few weeks with a bit of TLC and then got them planted last week. They are looking good so far. This heat has had me watering them daily.

Sorry for the delay in responses, it's been a busy few weeks. Thanks for all of the replies. When I get back to GA, I will post a few pics.

Barebowyer

My Chestnut trees are doing great and producing real good. Planted 5 more this year.
How old were they before they produced? I have some in the ground now that are very healthy and four years old and have not produced anything yet.

glynr329

I tried with the smaller trees and takes about 5 years and some still none on them. I also bought the biggest trees and they grew really fast. I planted some 7 or 8 foot trees this year. Here Is one of mine that is loaded.

Attachments

• 20220528_083829.jpg
    20220528_083829.jpg
    421.1 KB · Views: 49

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
How old were they before they produced? I have some in the ground now that are very healthy and four years old and have not produced anything yet.
I bought mine at Wally World and they produced a few burrs in the 3rd year. They are covered up this year, 5th year

XJfire75

I’ve got 2 planted in my backyard. They’re 5 years old. No nuts yet but they’re growing well. Hoping to feed a few deer and other critters for the family to watch from the living room.

SRShunter

For the guys who have mature trees that are producing chestnuts. Do the deer really like them? Would you say they prefer them over acorns like they claim? BTW yall have some very nice looking trees.