Please Educate me on the different Browning rifle models

sea trout

2021 Turkey Challenge Winner 2022 biggest turkey ?
Hope y'all are doing great and havin fun!!
I've never owned and/or been exposed to Browning rifles and haven't been exposed to discussion about them either.
How do their rifle models line up according to quality and value??
It seems HellsCanyon is one of their most expensive used so I'm assuming thats one of their best?
How about the x bolt and the A bolt and the A bolt Hunter II? How do they line up for quality, preffered use and value and resale value?

Thank you fine folks for your insight and experience!!

ChidJ

So, I was just bored at work so I took a look at their site. I'm not a Browning expert or anything.

Their bolt action rifles come in the two flavors you've mentioned. A-bolt and X-Bolt. I think they are mostly similar as far as form is concerned (same action footprint, same barrel steel) but I think just more work goes into the finish and fit of the xbolt. You get better steel in the action, better finishes throughout, fluting options, color coatings, threaded muzzles, etc etc.

Hells Canyon is just a trim level of sorts where they do the cerakoted barreled action and the ATACS pattern camo on the stock. In function, they are identical to any other X Bolt.

Hopefully this helps

sea trout

It DOES HELP THANKS!

Jester896

Senior Clown
The A Bolt replaced the BBR
The A Bolt was made from '85-'94
In 94 they introduced the A Bolt II and is still in limited production I think
The X-Bolt was introduced in 2008
Like ChidJ mentioned the Pro, Hunter, ****'s Canyon, stalker are just variations of the X-Bolt

Like Remington if you will...700 ADL, BDL, CDL and DM.. all just variations of the 700

furtaker

The A Bolt replaced the BBR
The A Bolt was made from '85-'94
In 94 they introduced the A Bolt II and is still in limited production I think
The X-Bolt was introduced in 2008
Like ChidJ mentioned the Pro, Hunter, ****'s Canyon, stalker are just variations of the X-Bolt

Like Remington if you will...700 ADL, BDL, CDL and DM.. all just variations of the 700
They're still making the A-Bolt II? I thought it was replaced by the X-Bolt.

I've owned a couple of Brownings but ended up sending both of them down the road. I had an A-Bolt II in 7mm-08 that was light and handy and felt great, but I never could get it to shoot unfortunately.

I've always thought that Browning rifles were a bit ugly.

ChidJ

Current production lists the AB3 as the successor to the original A Bolt. I can only assume the AB is for A Bolt. They don't explicitly say it but its definitely just the more affordable alternative to the current X Bolt

greg j

I owned one of the earlier Abolt composite stalker rifles from the 80's, it was the most accurate rifle ever shot. In a fit of stupidity i sold it. I think if you purchase one you will like it.

sea trout

Thanks y'all! Great info!

jiminbogart

TCU Go Frawgs !
Love the original A Bolt.

Had an A Bolt Medallion 3006 in 1986.

Then an A Bolt Stalker in 3006.

Now a stainless A Bolt w/ BOSS .300 Win Mag.

The Win Mag is going to be sold so I can get another original A Bolt 3006.

WishboneW

A bolt micro medallion in 308. 20 inch barrel. Does it’s job. Also had an A bolt hunter in 7 mag. Good shooter. Have it to my oldest son. The younger one has dibs on the 308

Otisman

Only deer rifle I ever owned until several years ago was a late 80’s A bolt composite stalker 30-06. Truly a tach driver with cheap core lokt ammo. My only complaint was the trigger. Timney makes a spring kit that I installed, but I never found a replacement trigger. After shooting a rifle with a good trigger, I bought a couple other rifles that I could put an aftermarket trigger in. Gave the A bolt to my son. I’m guessing the newer brownings have more trigger options but haven’t looked into it. It was a great gun though. Took many falls, and ran over it twice. (Used to lean it on the back tire while loading the truck, young and in a hurry). Never affected it.

Sixes

I have Browning rifles in BAR, A-bolt, A-Bolt II, and X-bolt. I have a couple wood stocks, but mostly composite. I have blued and stainless and I actually prefer the blued look with composite.

I've always been a Browning fan and it's pretty much all I use with the exception of a Tikka sometimes. They are lightweight and are a pleasure to shoot.

The short throw on their action is a lot different than other manufacturers. The have a removable flip down magazine.

Trigger is easily adjusted and I've never had a bad trigger on a Browning. Once lightened, they are crisp and creep free.

My next rifle will be a Hells Canyon, I've actually been looking for a while, but I can never find one in stock in a 300wsm