Please Listen To This Week’s Meateater Podcast

ssramage

Haven’t caught his podcast this week. I’m usually pretty current but my commute has gone away. Will make sure to listen.

delacroix

BANNED
You don't tell me what to do. I find that fella as entertaining as drying paint.

Also, numbers are on the rise everywhere I go. Habitat is the primary cause of the decline. Habitat improvement from increased timber cutting is the mode of population increase. Assuming mass hysteria doesn't tank the timber market this year, our gobbler numbers will continue to increase.

XIronheadX

PF Trump Cam Operator !20/20
There are much better places to gain turkey knowledge than the kitchen. I'll stick with experience and southern biologists. Hopefully one was on it.

Last edited:

Alexander

Mike Chamberlain is who they talk with this week. Local Georgia guy and a professor in the Warnell School of Forestry and Natural Resources. Real big in turkey research here in the state. I am not the largest fan of Rinella, but will give it a listen all because Mike is on it and based on what I have seen on his IG regarding his research i am more than intrigued.

XIronheadX

PF Trump Cam Operator !20/20
Mike Chamberlain is who they talk with this week. Local Georgia guy and a professor in the Warnell School of Forestry and Natural Resources. Real big in turkey research here in the state. I am not the largest fan of Rinella, but will give it a listen all because Mike is on it and based on what I have seen on his IG regarding his research i am more than intrigued.
Yep, if he was on it, lots of knowledge. I keep tabs on his info.

Sautee Ridgerunner

You don't tell me what to do. I find that fella as entertaining as drying paint.

Also, numbers are on the rise everywhere I go. Habitat is the primary cause of the decline. Habitat improvement from increased timber cutting is the mode of population increase. Assuming mass hysteria doesn't tank the timber market this year, our gobbler numbers will continue to increase.

That’s the attitude and ignorant response I expected. Im surprised it was only one out of the first six.

northgeorgiasportsman

Staff member

Numbers are on the rise "everywhere you go?"

ddd-shooter

What are your qualifications to determine ignorance on anything other than how to make asinine posts on a forum?
I would imagine your utter refusal to accept what scientific research has proven across the “majority“ of landscapes, which is, Turkey populations are in a precipitous decline “most places.”

Is it true you could be going to the “few places“ where it’s not in decline? Yes. Does that mean science is wrong and we shouldn’t worry about “most places?”. NO!!!
Why not listen to what actual research has to say, rather than anecdotal evidence “look what I see where I go” as well as your fellow turkey lovers, who “see a lot of places you cannot see?”

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
Love the show Meateater, but don’t really do podcasts. Rinella does some cool junk and tries stuff most would never try. He’s one of my faves for sure. He eats the whole Turkey and praises them as one of his most cherished animals.

northgeorgiasportsman

Staff member
I enjoyed listening to that podcast. Lots of great knowledge shared. The science supports what many mountain hunters have been saying for years. Season starts too early. Too many predators. Too little habitat. All of that is a recipe for decimating a species. We've been seeing it before our own eyes.

Now to get everyone else on board and get some legislative changes done.

nick_o_demus

Absolutely loved this podcast and I'm now following Mike on Facebook. Thanks for sharing. A lot of info given, but mostly enjoyed the part about aging turkeys. I agree a lot of folks will disagree, but how can you after listening to his results on banded birds, etc...

stringmusic

I’m about 3/4 through it, it’s definitely a great podcast! Thanks for the heads up on it.

tad1

Absolutely loved this podcast and I'm now following Mike on Facebook. Thanks for sharing. A lot of info given, but mostly enjoyed the part about aging turkeys. I agree a lot of folks will disagree, but how can you after listening to his results on banded birds, etc...

I agree with you completely, the aging part WAS hard to swallow. I always would assume that an eastern turkey with spurs >1” + and sharp was into his 3rd plus year old. Similar to bucks, with things starting to get murky at 3.5+ years old. Either way a very interesting listen and I am a researcher/scientist at heart and in practice.
JT