Please Listen To This Week’s Meateater Podcast

Turkeytider

I`ve found myself wondering in the midst of all this debate about turkey populations, would there be any REAL harm to backing up the season start date a couple of weeks and taking the limit down a bird for a couple of seasons to better know impact? I know this is the subject of heated debate, but I for one would be willing to see it happen to know. I think (hope ) that all of us who love to hunt this magnificent bird want what`s best for it. I know I do. JMHO.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I listen to Rinella's podcast every week. It's good.

As for turkey numbers: When I was growing up in the 70s and early 80s, you hardly ever saw a turkey. There were a few around, but they were rare. Really rare. Like you were amazed if you found a feather in the woods. If you actually saw a turkey, you would talk about it for days.

This morning, sitting on my porch, I counted six-seven different gobblers sounding off in my holler. Driving up the road the other day, I had to stop and blow the horn at a group of six jakes that were huddled up on the yellow line. I was out walking around on the national forest yesterday afternoon. I was pretty much never out of sight of turkey scratchings in the leaves. There is almost never a day goes by that I don't see or hear one or several turkeys. They are everywhere. In my area, I have not seen any decline at all, only a remarkable increase in numbers over the years. I regularly see flocks of fifty or so in the winter. There are more turkeys here right now than there have ever been in my lifetime. And it seems to be that way everywhere across the state of NC that I go to.

With that said-turkey season still isn't open here. It won't open until next Monday, April 13. We have a four-week season starting in mid-April, and a two-bird limit. Coincidence?

Turkeytider

I listen to Rinella's podcast every week. It's good.

As for turkey numbers: When I was growing up in the 70s and early 80s, you hardly ever saw a turkey. There were a few around, but they were rare. Really rare. Like you were amazed if you found a feather in the woods. If you actually saw a turkey, you would talk about it for days.

This morning, sitting on my porch, I counted six-seven different gobblers sounding off in my holler. Driving up the road the other day, I had to stop and blow the horn at a group of six jakes that were huddled up on the yellow line. I was out walking around on the national forest yesterday afternoon. I was pretty much never out of sight of turkey scratchings in the leaves. There is almost never a day goes by that I don't see or hear one or several turkeys. They are everywhere. In my area, I have not seen any decline at all, only a remarkable increase in numbers over the years. I regularly see flocks of fifty or so in the winter. There are more turkeys here right now than there have ever been in my lifetime. And it seems to be that way everywhere across the state of NC that I go to.

With that said-turkey season still isn't open here. It won't open until next Monday, April 13. We have a four-week season starting in mid-April, and a two-bird limit. Coincidence?

The last paragraph and its concluding one word question is, to me, the crux of the issue.

jbogg

Definitely one of the most interesting podcast I have heard in a long time. Thanks for sharing @Sautee Ridgerunner. I was honestly surprised at how little I actually knew about these birds. Seems like there is a mountain of evidence supporting the need for pushing the start of the season back several weeks. I really hope the state of Georgia listens to one of their own on this and follows suit.