Pocket knife with a past.

flyrod444

My dad lost this old case trapper when working on his dozer back in the 1980s. The spey blade was broken off before he lost it. We found it àround 2015 while working on the dozer to get it running again. The knife was a rusty mess. I cleaned it up best I could and sent it to case to see if they could put new spey blade in it. They sent it back and said they didn't have blades that fit it anymore. I through it on a shelf and forgot about it. Recently I decided to just take the broken blade out and make slim trapper out of it. I have to say it feels great in my hand and is cool to use now.
IMG_20220114_133135412_copy_510x680.jpg
IMG_20220114_133203233_copy_510x680.jpg
IMG_20220114_133216493_copy_510x680.jpg

Last edited:

Railroader

Billy’s Security Guard.
My dad lost this old case trapper when working on his dozer back in the 1980s. The spey blade was broken off before he lost it. We found it àround 2015 while working on the dozer to get it running again. The knife was a rusty mess. I cleaned it up best I could and sent it to case to see if they could put new spey blade in it. They sent it back and said they didn't have blades that fit it anymore. I through it on a shelf and forgot about it. Recently I decided to just take the broken blade out and make slim trapper out of it. I have to say it feels great in my hand and is cool to use now.
View attachment 1128777
View attachment 1128778
View attachment 1128779

Now THAT is a cool rehab!!! Hat tip to it ?!

flyrod444

Thanks guys, it truly is priceless to me. My dad died in 2007 and when it was found in his old dozer it brought back a lot of good memory's. I was with him when he dropped it down into the belly of his dozer. I just didn't like the way it felt with the broke blade. Taking it apart proved difficult but I'm pleased with how it turned out.

Anvil Head

Great story and recovery on that oldie but goodie.

My Dad's EDC for as long as I can remember. Think I have at least 3 in a box somewhere that he wore down to needles. Yeah, seems the spey blade was the one that got broke off most the time. It was a little thinner and narrower at the ricasso area. It was his workhorse for sure. Only one still intact is a redbone that I replaced the handles with ivory and scrimshawed hunting scenes on both sides and filework on spines and spring backs - he wouldn't use it because I customized it and had his name etched on the blade. Think my sister wound up with it after he passed back in mid 90's.

fishfryer

frying fish driveler
I have one just like that, that my wife gave me for our first Christmas of our marriage,1974. I carried it for well
Over twenty years and wore both blades down to a nub. A friend who was in a knife club replaced the blades for me and it’s like a new one again.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Love it!

bullgator

Case did you a favor by not replacing the blade. I like it.

bullgator

I agree. That old blade has a class and personality that a replacement blade could never hope to have. That old knife has soul in it.
Absolutely. When my mother passed in ‘13 and it was time to sell the house, my nephew wanted to bury a time capsule on the property. He asked for each of us to put something in it. I put my dads Case knife in there. The clip point blade had been sharpened so much it was practically a toothpick….. but dad wouldn’t get a new knife because that and a 1945 (year he got out of the army after 4 years in Europe)silver dollar were the first things in his pocket every morning.