Point I.D

Hillbilly stalker

My buddy caught me at work today and hit my fishing hole again. I’m smelling a rat, I don’t believe he’s fishing. We haven’t got a reference book yet, can anybody I.D these, especially the middle one ? It’s white quartz from the Piedmont area in SC. Thanks in advance.90D21E0A-933D-4165-827B-879840D46459.png

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Nice find! Never saw one exactly like that that I remember, but I guess I'd call it a Hardaway/Palmer variant.

Hillbilly stalker

I don’t flint Knapp, I took a short coarse many years ago. But I’d bet that white quartz would be tough to work. It breaks in segments or chunks like a piece of cork. I don’t know how you could make a shelf or platform to work With. I’ve never seen one found with the ears still on it.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I don’t flint Knapp, I took a short coarse many years ago. But I’d bet that white quartz would be tough to work. It breaks in segments or chunks like a piece of cork. I don’t know how you could make a shelf or platform to work With. I’ve never seen one found with the ears still on it.
Like anything else, you have to find solid, unweathered pieces. It is tough. You generally have to work it with wood percussion and antler pressure. You can make some decent points, though, if you get a good piece. It's much easier to work than metaquartzite.

The three in the top center of this frame, I made from local quartz and quartzite.

points1.jpg

points2.jpg

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Like anything else, you have to find solid, unweathered pieces. It is tough. You generally have to work it with wood percussion and antler pressure. You can make some decent points, though, if you get a good piece. It's much easier to work than metaquartzite.

The three in the top center of this frame, I made from local quartz and quartzite.

View attachment 1018148

View attachment 1018149

Nice work. Looks like a piece of our chocolate swirl Coastal Plains chert in the lower left.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Nice work. Looks like a piece of our chocolate swirl Coastal Plains chert in the lower left.
Yep. Out of the river in downtown Albany. :)

Hillbilly stalker

View attachment 1018148

View attachment 1018149
Man thems some nice points. Ours looks kinda dirty with red zig zag veins in it. We have a lot of red dirt around this way.

GeorgiaGlockMan

Hillbilly stalker, your buddy made some great finds and you are a good friend for letting him "fish".

He is a better friend for actually sharing the pictures.

Love that center point!

NCHillbilly, I am so impressed! Nice work.