Point

arrendale8105

I think I posted this in the wrong forum earlier so I’m putting it here.

I’m 41 today and have never found one in my life. My 12 year old daughter was fishing in the pond in our pasture and came in hollering when she found it. Pretty cool if I do say so myself. I Know nothing about them so any thoughts would be appreciated, she’s been googling everything she can find on them ever since she found it.

Attachments

• DE914FCC-F873-4A1F-ACFC-D35FB3258BE8.jpeg
    DE914FCC-F873-4A1F-ACFC-D35FB3258BE8.jpeg
    125.7 KB · Views: 143
  • 2D9C047E-869E-4BC8-9A1C-3249AC1CA24B.jpeg
    2D9C047E-869E-4BC8-9A1C-3249AC1CA24B.jpeg
    118.1 KB · Views: 144

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
That's a great find! Nice point, and made from some top-notch material. Looks to me like a mid-Archaic period stemmed point, several thousand years old. I'll leave the exact typology to someone else.

ghadarits

Very nice find! Please pass along my compliments to your daughter for having the presence of mind to know what she was seeing and understanding how cool it is.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Most likely but are Adenas found that far south also? That would put it in the Woodland category would it not? Nice find regardless and super old.

They are, but most Adenas I`ve seen down here are slimmer and don`t have such pronounced barbs. They are more of a lancelate shape.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Most likely but are Adenas found that far south also? That would put it in the Woodland category would it not? Nice find regardless and super old.
It doesn't look at all like an Adena to me.

Paymaster

Old Worn Out Mod
Staff member
Great find!!