Poison ivy

BDD

Sure does take your mind off the coronavirus.
Anyone have a home remedy? I rather suffer through then go to the doctor for cream.

Mr Bya Lungshot

BANNED LUNATIC FRINGE
Dawn takes grease away.
Hot water melts the high temp oil of poisen ivy sumac and oak.
Remove the oil from you.

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
Sure does take your mind off the coronavirus.
Anyone have a home remedy? I rather suffer through then go to the doctor for cream.

Suffered with this mess when I was younger.
The creme they used to give out is 1% cortisone which is OTC now, it helps early on.
The doc will give you a shot of steroid and steroid tablets.
If its wide spread or your sensitive to it the home remedies won’t help.

Mr Bya Lungshot

BANNED LUNATIC FRINGE
I’ve had it every year and now basically immune to it. Still the bath regimen is specific warm to hot with soap then scalding hot to melt the oil.

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
I’ve had it every year and now basically immune to it. Still the bath regimen is specific warm to hot with soap then scalding hot to melt the oil.

Like you, I‘ve grown more resistant to it but still get oils off ASAP.

Anvil Head

If you think you have been in contact with it, wash as directed above as soon as possible this includes your clothes (and dog). Once it has started blistering avoid direct sunlight on those areas and sweaty exertion (if possible, yeah not that easy). Don't scrub blisters since the oil is already under the skin you will just spread it more. Benedryl does help with the itching.
Not to be argumentative, but two different Docs and a dermatologist advised that hot or scalding water application only exasperates the irritation problem.

Our body chemestry changes as we age and though I still get it from time to time it is rarely more worrisome than a skeeter bite these days. It put me in the hospital when I was 5 or 6, and used to lie in wait and "jump" on me in the woods (where I stay most the time). I have learned to avoid as much as possible over the years, which helps as well.

Mr Bya Lungshot

BANNED LUNATIC FRINGE
Bath at the temp your at.
Keep your pores the same. Then steady increase water temp to melt it.
Shave next day. Get in it all at once and dont wash at lunch and get back in it.
All or nothing.

Jim Baker

Staff member
If you think you have been in contact with it, wash as directed above as soon as possible this includes your clothes (and dog). Once it has started blistering avoid direct sunlight on those areas and sweaty exertion (if possible, yeah not that easy). Don't scrub blisters since the oil is already under the skin you will just spread it more. Benedryl does help with the itching.
Not to be argumentative, but two different Docs and a dermatologist advised that hot or scalding water application only exasperates the irritation problem.

Our body chemestry changes as we age and though I still get it from time to time it is rarely more worrisome than a skeeter bite these days. It put me in the hospital when I was 5 or 6, and used to lie in wait and "jump" on me in the woods (where I stay most the time). I have learned to avoid as much as possible over the years, which helps as well.

Dermatologist told me the same thing about hot water, but it does feel good for a few minutes. There are many OTC out there, my experience what works for me doesn't necessarily work for you. I had a reaction the first time I took the z pack. Taken it since no problems.

Back to the hot water. It is the heat that calms the nerves. Hot water will help spread any of the PI oil that is still present. I use a blow dryer and administer heat to the affected areas. Gives some temporary relief to the inching.

Best thing to do is go to the doctor. My last bad case a few years ago turned into a staph infection requiring antibiotics. My arm looked like it was going to rot off.

Lot of literature out there on PI. Read up on it.

walkinboss01

I use bleach and it dries it out pretty quickly.

treemanjohn

Banned
The only thing that I've seen that will get the oil off your skin when exposed is Gojo or Fast Orange. No need for hot water

Hillbilly stalker

Old mountain remedy. Free too. Get a bar of soap sopping wet...rub it over the affected area until it cakes up. Kills the itch, kills the oil and spread as long as you don't dig in it. Works every time unless your allergic to PI. Works almost immediately .