Political verses rights

1eyefishing

...just joking, seriously.
I’m not sure I believe all this.....either way you need to contact the game warden. Don’t even bother with the Leo’s.
Sometimes you gotta fight fire with fire. I would wait till he was in the box stand and then handle it man to man from there. I can guarantee you if I caught someone in my stand on my property they wouldn’t come back.
Yes, from my past experience, I'd leave it to them to call the law on ME.
I've settled down a little (lot) at my older age.

TurkeyDreamer

I’m not sure I believe all this.....either way you need to contact the game warden. Don’t even bother with the Leo’s.
Sometimes you gotta fight fire with fire. I would wait till he was in the box stand and then handle it man to man from there. I can guarantee you if I caught someone in my stand on my property they wouldn’t come back.

The OP doesn’t specify the trespasser was actually hunting. I read it that he was “trespassing, stalking, and attempting to climb a box stand” while a female hunter was in it. He later indicates he had footage of the “stalker in action”.

I concluded that the violator was trespassing and harassing the female hunter, not that he was hunting. Either way the trespasser is in the wrong. My educated assumption is that the sheriff would be involved regarding the trespassing but that the game warden would only be involved if game laws were violated.

Doe Dirt

The OP doesn’t specify the trespasser was actually hunting. I read it that he was “trespassing, stalking, and attempting to climb a box stand” while a female hunter was in it. He later indicates he had footage of the “stalker in action”.

I concluded that the violator was trespassing and harassing the female hunter, not that he was hunting. Either way the trespasser is in the wrong. My educated assumption is that the sheriff would be involved regarding the trespassing but that the game warden would only be involved if game laws were violated.
Well I don’t think he was there to play golf......sounds like he was doing a little scouting. I would contact the local game warden regardless. Only twice have we had a issue and the game warden was more than glad to get it resolved and he did. One was hunter harassment and the other was joy riders. In my experience the local police/sheriff’s department, doesn’t want anything to do with leaving the pavement.

I'm in the process of filing a TPO . This would make it a felony offence after he is served . Hopefully this will resolve my issue . But I will tell you that he comes more now to see if I am in my stand (hollering and honking his horn ) than he did before the Sherrifs office told him to stop. I put up two cameras and I have him patrolling every day .12813.jpeg

When he’s 10-20ft off the ground you should have the upper hand if you catch my drift......
I have tons of pics if you need some convincing but it wont let me download them here it says the files are to big.

XIronheadX

PF Trump Cam Operator !20/20
I have tons of pics if you need some convincing but it wont let me download them here it says the files are to big.
That pic you posted above is in Windows 10 photos. Right click the picture and hit "resize". Save the copy and keep the original size as well. Or right click and open in Paint and resize. Save.

jfarrell30339

I'd go to the GBI and tell them the local sheriff is ignoring a crime because of politics. That'll get real...real quick.

Waddams

You should be able to file for a restraining order against him yourself at the local magistrate judge court office. Take the videos, pics, prior documentation/contact information you've had with the local Sheriff, show that said neighbor escalated his misconduct, trespassing, and harassment after he was contacted by LE. Even if the magistrate doesn't approve the RO filing, it gets the concerns and associated documentation on official record in case you need to demonstrate later that there's been an on-going problem with this guy for an extended time period.

Whoever this guy is, if he's some sort of licensed professional, once the RO is in place, you can also send the RO to the licensing board and really screw him up. Usually they respond with fines, license suspensions, revocations, refusals to renew, etc. for legal missteps like this. Hit him in his ability to maintain all that wealth and you might make a decent impression on him as well.

And post it all to the social media outlets that said local politician this guy is supporting is in cahoots with a supporter that acts like this, AND he's being protected by said local politician's own little "deep state" world.

And maybe contact local politician's election opposition with it as well, maybe they'll take enough notice to get it on local news with the rest of the dirt that gets run during elections.

And last thing - if you don't have a carry permit, get one, and go take the training classes in use of deadly force legalities, self defense practice shooting, etc. Chances are probably less than 1 in 10,000 that you'd need to employ such force, but with this kind of thing, the consequences of that 1 in 10,000 occurrence can be bad enough that the risk analysis would show to be prepared for it. Better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

Doe Dirt

Sorry, I believe your situation. I just can’t believe that the sheriff’s department didn’t want to help you out. The reply that you got from them would have blew my mind.

Gumpbuck

I'm not sure anyone has mentioned this yet... Did you say you are leasing the land? You are not the owner?
Have you consulted with your owner on this situation? Does the owner agree with your course of action? In the end, the owner is the one that will have to deal with this guy for as long as they both own their respective land.
You are in the right here, but does your owner want bad blood here. Is the lease relationship worth enough to him to end up in a battle with his neighbor.
Just something to consider here.... IMO.
Regardless, I hope it all works out for you and you can get back to enjoying your hunt.

jiminbogart

TCU Go Frawgs !
Why does this guy have an axe to grind?

I would just defend myself when it was just me and him in the woods. He swung first.

sleepr71

He obviously didn’t grow up in,or live in ...reality. He has NO idea how ugly that could get for him..and fast. Good on you for attempting the High Road?

brdyhll

hunter harassment
This. If the guy is bothering you repeatedly while hunting I would imagine that’s the definition of this and I believe it is against the law. Game wardens don’t seem to take it lightly either. Plus if I’m not mistaken the game warden has more jurisdiction than the cops too

dfhooked

Did any of you see the opps reply?

“I am very excited to say that I just spoke with DNR and was told that they are gona help me take care of this mess . Thank God for these guys , it's a blessing to have some help . I'm feeling excited about going back hunting .”

Hope it works out for you.

ucfireman

Contact the local TV channel. They have "investigators" that love to put "prominent" locals on camera and ask them questions. The trespasser will get embarrassed on TV in front of his friends and will stop.

Good luck.

godogs57

I have talked to the guy once and the Sherrifs office has explained to him several times that I am completely legal and have every right to hunt my leased property. I went to the DNR and they told me they dont get involved with trespassing that the sheriff's office handles that . I am confused and aggravated and feal like because I'm a middle class citizen I'm not important enough for my situation to be handled in the right manner.
Your local DNR fed you a line. I had a problem with trespassers three years ago and our GW said he'd take em to jail for trespassing if it happened again, now that he had been notified by me. Trespassing is a crime....a crime.....your GW is fully capable of handling this. Politics is a nasty business though