Polycarp to the Philippians

hummerpoo

Gone but not forgotten
A good Pastoral letter which we could all look to as an example for our thinking and communication.

gordon 2

Did you notice hummer that Polycarp is asking for epistles from other bishops or ministers if he has not read them? He is familiar of Paul's epistles to the Philippians and asks the Philippians for letters and such if they have them.

I have read where it is said that possibly Polycarp was getting the elements of what we know as the New Testament in order.

Also it is interesting to note the many values in depth for this Christian leader was so early in the life of the body of believers.

It is interesting also to ponder on what Polycarp and John understood from scripture ( for the new life) and especially the old testament that make them so revolutionary.

I have been following the footnotes in Proverbs and Psalm that are linked to the apostle John (the gospel writer) , who is said to have instructed Polycarp. The linkages seems to form a remarkable picture of John as a man of rare and very focused intellect.

John, whom Jesus loved, who had been instructed by Jesus, and then instructed Polycarp understood Proverbs 8 with sure insight ( Which is about who God is as to His regard towards man. ) and Psalm 9 for example ( Which is a treatise on the roots of evil and how to overcome. And so the reversal of revenge and the reversal exclusion in the dealings of the saints especially where there was injury.

"Somehow" it was transferred to Polycarp... so that Polycarp could naturally promote love and condense many of its aspects in the ways we are to be as Christians to the glory of God and the betterment of the saints and all mankind.

Very, very interesting. I continue to pray.

1gr8bldr

Polycarps writings usually read as though he addresses the proper way to live. While others after him begin to be confronted with false doctrines creeping in, this seen in what they write about.

gordon 2

What was Polycarp(that sounds like a plastic fish)doing in the Philippines?Be careful around those ornamentals.

Spain introduced Christianity to the Philippines in 1565 with the arrival of Miguel Lopez de Legaspi.

Philipi, which is what is reffered to by Philippians was a small city in Greece, which was until the 1400s, when it was abandoned.

The Philippines was named in honor of King Philip II of Spain.

If the reference to ornamentals is that we are ( or I am) to some mescal, I was not drunk obviously if you check reference. :)

The importance of Polycarp, a real individual by that name, is that he knew John the Apostle and others who had talked or had been witness to the ministry of Jesus. So that when Polycarp says something it is pregnant with some of the very first Christian concerns.

Last edited: