Pork fat for sausage (Publix is a Joke)

Went to Publix to get some Pork fat or beef fat from the butcher. They said they are not allowed to sell it any longer because it "might" be contaminated and get me sick. I said, "If you are serious, Ill tell everybody I know not to buy meat from here." They were serious, and they were not confident in their product. (either that or they didn't want to support my venison from bambi)

I went to the butcher shop to get dome, and they charger $30 for 5lbs of pork fat. Next time I butcher a hog, Ill keep all the leftover fat just in case I need to make deer sausage. Normally, we pressure cook our deer meat, but we were running out of breakfast sausage.

My message to you.....If you cant raise it or kill it, don't eat it.

naildrvr

$30/5lbs? :eek::eek::eek:
The last pork fat I bought from my local butcher cost me $0.99/lb. The big chains won't hardly sell stuff like that anymore unless you personally know the market mgr.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Ingles will usually sell it, cheap.

Went to Publix to get some Pork fat or beef fat from the butcher. They said they are not allowed to sell it any longer because it "might" be contaminated and get me sick. I said, "If you are serious, Ill tell everybody I know not to buy meat from here." They were serious, and they were not confident in their product. (either that or they didn't want to support my venison from bambi)

I went to the butcher shop to get dome, and they charger $30 for 5lbs of pork fat. Next time I butcher a hog, Ill keep all the leftover fat just in case I need to make deer sausage. Normally, we pressure cook our deer meat, but we were running out of breakfast sausage.

My message to you.....If you cant raise it or kill it, don't eat it.

I originally told her I wanted 10 lbs. Then, it rang up for $60. I could've took it to the processor if I really bought what I needed. I needed 50 lbs. (2 deer) And we go a little heavy on the fat.

shdw633

That's why I just take my whole deer to a processor I know and he makes the best sausage out of it. I get a bunch out of a whole deer and he's justs under $100 to do it. Whole deer usually lasts me 2 years before I have to do it again. If I am doing grind I will just buy the fattiest boston butt I can find and grind it up into the meat, does the job and tastes great.

tbrown913

Go to a small grocery store with a butcher shop. I usually pay $1 for pork fat since the meat comes trimmed already, and fifty cents a pound for beef fat. Call a week ahead and they have it ready for me.

Big7

The Oracle
You can buy 25lbs of bacon scraps.
That's what is left over when bacon
is squared up on both ends.
Mostly fat with a little smoke flavor.

Best I make is easy.
19 pounds venison × 6 pounds bacon
scraps. One package will make 75lbs.

8oz package Leggs #10 seasoning.
That perfect mild sausage. 25lbs.

Sometimes I put in a little sage.
I don't make hot sausage.

Same ratio makes great burgers to.
Just use your favorite burger seasonings
instead of the Leggs.

I like Montreal Steak and Badia Complete
In my burger.

25lbs bacon scraps go for around
$12.00 at my market. That's cheap.

Most folks buy it for seasoning beans,
peas and greens.

BeerThirty

Wow! I did this last year at Publix and they gave me beef trimmings for free. Even $.99/lb is a rip. Wholesale you can by it for .25/lb right now.

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
What shdw said i use Boston butts and it turns out good every time

Either that or I'll buy ground pork at the local Publix. I usually take the butcher a stick of summer sausage once I'm done so he's happy to grind me whatever I need because he knows where it's going to end up.:bounce:

Latest posts