Possible Floridians poaching deer at a Georgia State Park?

turtlebug

September 23, 2010

Authorities looking for deer poachers at Stephen C. Foster State Park
The Valdosta Daily Times The Valdosta Daily Times Thu Sep 23, 2010, 01:27 PM EDT

VALDOSTA — Last week, deep within Okefenokee National Wildlife Refuge, a family from Florida camped at Stephen C. Foster State Park. As they drove along Highway 177 their headlights gleamed upon white-tailed deer: three does and a magnificent buck with at least eight point antlers. Hoping to provide their grandson’s another opportunity to see the big buck again, they made a quick stop at the park store then returned to the spot, but the deer were gone.

Four days later, while walking near the edge of the campground, campers found a patch of fur and followed the sign to a carcass of a deer with its antlers removed and meat left to rot. The big buck, which had delighted campers for years, became a victim of poachers—killed at night, within a few yards of a campground, in a State Park closed for hunting.

In response, Park Manager Travis Griffin has increased ranger foot patrols. Refuge Ranger Jim Shelton says that, “I’m looking forward to seeing these guys featured in Georgia Outdoor News Magazine’s Hall of Shame.”

The person or persons that poached the deer are thought to have camped at Stephen C. Foster State Park the weekend of September 11th, 2010 and are from the NE Florida Area. Should anyone have any information regarding a poached buck at Stephen C. Foster State Park, call the TIP hotline at 1-800-241-4113 7 days a week / 24 hours a day. If your TIP leads to an arrest, arrangements will be made for you to receive a reward even if you wish to remain anonymous. The TIP Hotline is operated by Turn In Poachers, Inc. a non-profit Georgia conservation organization.

The U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service is the principal Federal agency responsible for conserving, protecting and enhancing fish, wildlife and plants and their habitats for the continuing benefit of the American people. The Service manages the 150-million-acre National Wildlife Refuge System, which encompasses 552 national wildlife refuges, thousands of small wetlands and other special management areas. It also operates 70 national fish hatcheries, 65 fishery resources offices and 86 ecological services field stations. The agency enforces federal wildlife laws, administers the Endangered Species Act, manages migratory bird populations, restores nationally significant fisheries, conserves and restores wildlife habitat such as wetlands, and helps foreign and Native American tribal governments with their conservation efforts. It also oversees the Federal Assistance program, which distributes hundreds of millions of dollars in excise taxes on fishing and hunting equipment to state fish and wildlife agencies.

Source: http://valdostadailytimes.com/today...r-deer-poachers-atStephen-C-Foster-State-Park

Pay for a lease like everyone else :mad: :shoot: :mad: :shoot:

Jeff C.

Chief Grass Master
I'm guessing they were the only ones camped there during that time frame:huh:

270 guy

Banned
Funny how they have no info and are asking for leads yet they blame someone from FL because they bought something in the store and wantd to show someone the deer LOL.

I have camped at that park before and seen many deer and even bought stuff from the store I guess that makes me a poacher as well LOL.

Bet it was the locals that knew he was there that killed him.

turtlebug

Funny how they have no info and are asking for leads yet they blame someone from FL because they bought something in the store and wantd to show someone the deer LOL.

I have camped at that park before and seen many deer and even bought stuff from the store I guess that makes me a poacher as well LOL.

Bet it was the locals that knew he was there that killed him.

Yeah, I'm sure the fact that you have to register your vehicle and give your tag number to buy a parking pass, eyewitness accounts and possible video survelience had absolutely nothing to do with the fact that they "suspect" it was someone from Florida. :rolleyes:

Maybe you're thinking of Laura S Walker or the Okeefenokee State Park? :huh: Nothing but an office, camping and picnic, fishing and hiking areas where this took place.

crackerdave

Whatever happened to "innocent until proven guilty?"

Sounds like somebody's got a burr up their tail about Floridians.:rolleyes:

DeWalt

Banned

Seems to happen quite often around here............:huh::rofl::rofl:

turtlebug

Uhm yeah, that's it. :rolleyes:

Try burr over poachers period.

Ole Fuzzy

Banned
Yeah, forget the Floridians...you really got to keep an eye on those rouge hunters from the Valdasta area. :stir:

Rouge hunters? Are they a wee bit on the effeminate side and cross dressing in womens' camo clothing? :stir::bounce:

270 guy

Banned
Yeah, I'm sure the fact that you have to register your vehicle and give your tag number to buy a parking pass, eyewitness accounts and possible video survelience had absolutely nothing to do with the fact that they "suspect" it was someone from Florida. :rolleyes:

Maybe you're thinking of Laura S Walker or the Okeefenokee State Park? :huh: Nothing but an office, camping and picnic, fishing and hiking areas where this took place.

Nope been to stephen foster camping and fishing and never killed any deer while up there. Saw plenty of deer and fox even some gators but never killed any LOL.

If they had all of the things you stated then why not just go arrest these bad guys that were showing there grand child a big buck and some does?

If they had video which I doubt they do and an eye witness they shouldn't need anyone else to come forward with more info!

Everyone had to regisster the same so your ideas still don't mean a hill of beans the GA camper right next to the FL campers could have killed it just as easy. :rolleyes:

Even if they were the only campers in the park it's a long dark road to only the park. Anyone could have driven down there and killed the buck. That part of GA is known for fire hunting it could have been anyone. Not sure if you have actually been there or not to know what your speaking of?

turtlebug

Lo
Nope been to stephen foster camping and fishing and never killed any deer while up there. Saw plenty of deer and fox even some gators but never killed any LOL.

If they had all of the things you stated then why not just go arrest these bad guys that were showing there grand child a big buck and some does?

If they had video which I doubt they do and an eye witness they shouldn't need anyone else to come forward with more info!

Everyone had to regisster the same so your ideas still don't mean a hill of beans the GA camper right next to the FL campers could have killed it just as easy. :rolleyes:

Even if they were the only campers in the park it's a long dark road to only the park. Anyone could have driven down there and killed the buck. That part of GA is known for fire hunting it could have been anyone. Not sure if you have actually been there or not to know what your speaking of?

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Yeah, okay. ;)

turtlebug

:banana::banana::rofl::rofl::rolleyes: Guess that was the best you could come up with?

Dude, I was born and raised in Valdosta and have fished the Okee more times than I can count or remember.

Why do the statements in a newspaper article offend you so badly?

There's good and bad people in Georgia and Florida. Call the DNR if you've got a problem with their press release. :smash:

I don't recall anything in the story saying there was a BOLO out for a man with the username 270guy. :huh:

270 guy

Banned
Dude, I was born and raised in Valdosta and have fished the Okee more times than I can count or remember.

Why do the statements in a newspaper article offend you so badly?

There's good and bad people in Georgia and Florida. Call the DNR if you've got a problem with their press release. :smash:

I don't recall anything in the story saying there was a BOLO out for a man with the username 270guy. :huh:

They don't offend me one bit...:rofl:

It's the fact FL people were blamed and they have no evidence to prove it. Like I said there are many people that can travel that long dark road and kill any amount of deer they want in that area and never get caught.

You are the one who posted it not me I just responded to it and you got your feelings hurt.

Who said anything about a BOLO?:rolleyes::rofl: You made that up as well.:rolleyes:

I'm done with this one.

Post it up when they catch the poachers they might be from FL who knows but with no evidence it is funny how they blame folks. :yawn:

Throwback

Chief Big Taw
I bet that eight point "magnificent buck" would be a "cull buck" up here. :bounce:

T

HALOJmpr

I bet that eight point "magnificent buck" would be a "cull buck" up here. :bounce:

T

Maybe that's all they were doing ... just a cull buck? :whip:

I don't care where they were from .... it was a bad move and stupid. SO many idiots and so few officers.

turtlebug

T

It was probably just a spike. I "made up" the part where it was an eight point and coerced the newspaper into changing their story. :rofl: :rofl:

7Mag Hunter

Was on the ONF last year opening day gun season and a truck
from Fla with 2 guys had 2 does in the back....I told them it
was buck only and they just laughed and said they killed the does
on their "club" .....
As I sat in the truck eating a snack, they both went back into the
woods and 20 mins later came back out with their 2 deer stands....
Seems they were not inclined to follow GA laws....

groundhawg

It was probably just a spike. I "made up" the part where it was an eight point and coerced the newspaper into changing their story. :rofl: :rofl:

Got the newspaper to change the story - now that is funny.:huh: But I was curious as to how with the head/antlers cut of the foklks knew it was the same buck they had seen early in the day