Post shot care and good taxidermy

Big A

What is the best way to handle your ducks after you shoot them and you want them mounted? Also does anybody know of a good place to go around athens? Also what are some good prices on duck mounts?
Thanks for your help
Big A

WOODIE13

2023 TURKEY CHALLENGE 1st place Team
Soon as you shoot them, make sure you wipe away any blood on the feathers so they do not stain. Some use a panty hose or stocking to put the bird in so the feathers do not become too messed up, I just lay the head back over the back, wrap it in a towel and put it in the freezer.

Expect to pay $150-250 for a bird. Make sure you check out their work and ask for references. Avian taxidermy is unlike any other, so someone great at deer can seriously screw up a bird.

Here is one and from looking at their work, they do good work (have not had a bird done there thought).

Casteel Taxidermy

4300 Forest Ave.

Macon, GA 31204

(478) 474-0368

Last edited:

Todd E

I have had Andy Nimmons Taxidermy Lexington, GA do four ducks for me. He has also done ducks and a Ross Goose for Goldentrout. He does quality work. I recommend his services. 1 year+ on turnaround. I think he charges 150 or 175.

As previously stated wipe off excess blood, fold head back over and place in panty hose(keeps feathers held down). You can put them in a bread bag also. He will reseal as appropriate on drop off.

Nick_T

Banned
Another vote for Casteel. I took my mottle to him that was shot up pretty bad and I think he did an excellent job making something out of nuthin. He also did a pintail for me that was in prestine shape and it came out awesome. As far as price, Woodie13 is pretty much in the ballpark, but remember, you get what you pay for.

Nick T

Nitro

Banned
Mr. Casteel does great work.

In the Atlanta area, Dana Stanford is the master. He done a bunch of my birds.

770-993-3518

Big A

Todd E

Todd do you have a number or a way that I could get a hold of Andy Nimmons Taxidermy?

Todd E

HWY 78E through Crawford & Lexington. Continue on past HWY 22 on right. Crossover Long Creek. (Still on 78). Turn left on Stephens Grove CH RD. His shop will be on right in sharp curve just past Holiness CH on left.

706-743-3431

goldentrout

Andy did a great job on my two mallards, and he has the Ross rocking like it is going in for a landing with its head looking to the side. It takes a while to get them back, but patience is rewarded.