Poult Report 2020

Turkeytider

That's always good to see. Nice capture
They are out there somewhere. Hard to get poult pics. I set the camera lower for turkeys. Plan on going to trim in front of it a lot. I got this many clips watching a few sq. feet. I have about 3 or 4 more with multiple hens in the distance where I only catch a some black specks popping up occasionally. I'm backed up to select cut pines. I cut down the sweet gums every fall, and when they grow back it gives good short canopy. Also mowed the plot after walking it. Probably many more have passed by out of range of the camera trigger.

Yep, they make a living out of being hard to detect. Doesn`t mean they aren`t there.

ucfireman

I have not personally seen any but was told today that a hen was seen on my place with a couple, so hope there are more. I will pull my cards tomorrow,

Hawken2222

Saturday June 13.
Morgan County 1 hen and one poult

devolve

Last year was a banner year for turkeys. They have disappeared. This season I saw 3 hens all year and haven’t seen a poult anywhere in my place. Depressing

Turkeytider

Last year was a banner year for turkeys. They have disappeared. This season I saw 3 hens all year and haven’t seen a poult anywhere in my place. Depressing

Yep. Maybe someday (when the political winds are favorable, I suppose ) the " decision makers " will listen to the professionals who know what the hedoublefenceposts they`re doing and what they`re talking about. I just hope it`s not too late. JMHO, of course.

Gut_Pile

I have three hens with zero poults, and have one that has four the size of a chicken in Bamberg County, SC.

Not a great sign at all. Hopefully more will show up

Turkeytider

I have three hens with zero poults, and have one that has four the size of a chicken in Bamberg County, SC.

Not a great sign at all. Hopefully more will show up

I suppose that when we see a hen with no poults we should assume that she`s either lost her clutch before hatching or every one of a hatched clutch has been lost to predators? It could be an accurate assumption, but I`m not sure that it truly is. I think I`ll pose that question to Dr. Mike Chamberlain.

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
I suppose that when we see a hen with no poults we should assume that she`s either lost her clutch before hatching or every one of a hatched clutch has been lost to predators? It could be an accurate assumption, but I`m not sure that it truly is. I think I`ll pose that question to Dr. Mike Chamberlain.
He’ll probably say that she may of not been bred because we killed all the gobblers to early. Or her chosen gobbler , and he may be correct !

Turkeytider

He’ll probably say that she may of not been bred because we killed all the gobblers to early. Or her chosen gobbler , and he may be correct !

That is indeed a possibility, I suppose. If that were to be a reality, that`s some serious stuff. It may be that the only way to prove that is to do what some already support. Back the season up some. Then see if you see fewer poultless hens.

Turkeytider

Regarding poultless hens, Dr. Chamberlain says that if you see poultless hens this time of year, it`s VERY unlikely that she has a brood with her. Small groups of hens with no poults is a common scenario for hens that fail to hatch a clutch. They don`t see many hens that fail to attempt a first clutch, they are appearing to be bred and at least trying a first clutch. About 20% of hens this year on their monitoring sites didn`t attempt to nest, which is about normal. Some of that is early loss of nests while laying and it`s so early that they fail to detect it and some is that a small % don`t attempt to nest for unknown reasons. To summarize, this time of year, observations of hens without poults is primarily driven by nest/poult loss. Dr. Chamberlain says that`s pretty well established.

XIronheadX

PF Trump Cam Operator !20/20
I had poults on video again yesterday. I moved my camera to the other end. Between 2 hens I could pick up movement of about 6 in the growth of the plot. I'm sure there were a few more. Guessing they were about grouse size.

Sautee Ridgerunner

I live in cherokee cty but my second home is in Sautee. Ive put a ton of miles on boots this year and lots in the truck. Every hen Ive seen has been alone

wvdawg

Staff member
Late hatch! Went to my Haralson property today (July 5). Saw one hen with a dozen fuzzy little poults - couldn't have been more than a week old. Never have I seen them this tiny at this time of year. But happy they are there!

Turkeytider

Late hatch! Went to my Haralson property today (July 5). Saw one hen with a dozen fuzzy little poults - couldn't have been more than a week old. Never have I seen them this tiny at this time of year. But happy they are there!

Quite late indeed, but good to see and encouraging nonetheless. Hopefully, there are more.

GeorgeShu

Jun 30 pic, appears to be a late hatch. She had about 6 poults, little more than sparrow size. First pic of poults at my place this year. They will need some luck!HenLatePoultsJun30.png

turkeykirk

Saw three hens with 6 good size poults in my field yesterday evening. 1st poults I’ve seen this Summer.