Power Plant

Canuck5

Food Plot advisor extraordinaire !
Maybe plant cereal rye and radish ahead of a good rain, this fall?

Allelopathy.JPGBiofumigation.JPG

Bucaramus

Some seeds will remain viable for years. The only way I have found to get rid of them is allow them to germinate then destroy. Repeat. Plowing is a good method.
When you say "plow" are you talking about tilling, disking, APP, or a bottom plow or what. I only have a disk right now but am willing to get what's needed. There's a pretty nice 5 shank APP for sale near me now.

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
When you say "plow" are you talking about tilling, disking, APP, or a bottom plow or what. I only have a disk right now but am willing to get what's needed. There's a pretty nice 5 shank APP for sale near me now.

I use a 16 disc smoothing harrow usually. Any plow will do to kill existing weeds and bring more seeds into position to germinate.

Being a newbie and wannabe farmer, what are the uses for it?
All kinds of stuff ! Break up hard dirt before using your disk, use it like a rake to clear off brush vines etc. use it like a ripper to get deep for soul moisture retention. Use it to get rocks out, pull out vehicles. Use it to get roots out and saplings etc….

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
What he said and more. Fairly light weight. You can easily haul one in a pickup bed.

Put some boards on it and haul stuff.

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
Being a newbie and wannabe farmer, what are the uses for it?

I just remembered that I saw an all purpose plow somewhere that had a sprayer tank and boom rigged up on it.
Multi purpose tool there for sure.

deers2ward

@doomtrpr_z71 The only concern about mowing it then hitting it is you will have all that thatch on.[/QUOTE]

Also you don't want to run over any fawns. Bushhogging before Sept is not a good idea imo

mattb78

If you limed simultaneously with planting, that may be part of the problem. The lime didn't have time to work and you planted a blend that had a high percentage of PH dependent plants.

In a few months that lime will pay off and you will have a nice fall plot. Although you didn't get the summer success you wanted you prepared the plot for future success!

Bucaramus

If you limed simultaneously with planting, that may be part of the problem. The lime didn't have time to work and you planted a blend that had a high percentage of PH dependent plants.

In a few months that lime will pay off and you will have a nice fall plot. Although you didn't get the summer success you wanted you prepared the plot for future success!
I sure hope so! We just picked up another lease to so time will be split now.

CarolinaDawg

Where did we go wrong? Started with a 4-5% solution of gly. Got a really good burn with this. Then we disked in 1.5 tons of lime per acre as well as fertilizer. Broadcast Power Plant a little on the heavy side and cultipacked. Now, although it's green and beautiful, it looks like more Johnson grass than anything. This stuff is 6' tall already. I feel like we poked a bear. What now? The hope was to terminate this in the fall and go to clover.View attachment 1156896View attachment 1156896View attachment 1156898
I’ve had the exact same failure following the same steps you did. The problem is seed depth because you disked, broadcast, and then cultipacked. You need to lightly disk in the large seeds in power plant after broadcasting and then cultipack.