PRACTICE, PRACTICE...

splatek

UAEC
We have the same brain!
I bought lighter (40#) limbs for my recurve in hopes of really working on developing a better, more solid form so that I would feel comfortable bring a trad bow into the wild next season. Practice... I am on it!

oldguy

I'm practicing aiming lower, a lot lower, this year!

Only been shooting 3 years and was proud when I mastered (more or less) hitting the vital zones on a 3-D deer target. But have found out that "aiming" at the vitals zone results in a clean miss on live deer - x 3 or 4 maybe 5;)
Had some thrilling encounters this year w/good bucks. Get to watch 'em come in and if you don't get worked up somethings wrong!

splatek

UAEC
Have any of y’all ever shoot a3d tournament
I’ve never done it. Know nothing about it. Thinking it might be fun for the Lil man and me.

Also, Monday morning that eight pointer I’ve been hunting all season walked out at 715 browser until after eight. Like he knew the calendar rung “seasons over”
Heartbreaking but at least he made it.

oldguy

Not a competition shooter but attend the South Ga shoots near Ellaville. Second Sat. of each month. There's another shoot in Culloden . 3rd Sat I believe. Get to associate w/ first class folks at both - fun and fellowship. Good 3-D courses set up at both. You can take it as seriously or as casually as you like. Shoot through by yourself or w/a group. They gonna' make you feel welcome! Make a bunch of new friends and put some faces to names on here.
Big shoot at The Rock in April I believe. Haven't been able to make that one yet, but want to.
Got a big eight here at the house that's started showing up in daylight (corn trough). Made it through another season dodging traffic, crossbows, maybe greedy folks that'd shoot a rifle in town. Had a close encounter w/him 3 years ago.

strothershwacker

Have any of y’all ever shoot a3d tournament
I’ve never done it. Know nothing about it. Thinking it might be fun for the Lil man and me.

Also, Monday morning that eight pointer I’ve been hunting all season walked out at 715 browser until after eight. Like he knew the calendar rung “seasons over”
Heartbreaking but at least he made it.
The ASA organized shoots that I've been too are extremely competitive. Super serious. Most em boys think there gonna be the next Levi Morgan and are extreme equipment snobs. I've found the fun shoots put on by those in the trad community to be way more enjoyable.

oldguy

The ASA organized shoots that I've been too are extremely competitive. Super serious. Most em boys think there gonna be the next Levi Morgan and are extreme equipment snobs. I've found the fun shoots put on by those in the trad community to be way more enjoyable.
Levi Morgan?
No need to reply.
I don't wanna' know!

splatek

UAEC
OK, thanks y'all. I am not looking to make this super competitive.
Just have fun. I've been to the No GA shoot and it's a blast, particularly when my nine year old out shoots me :rolleyes:
I will check out if those other shoots are close to me or not, otherwise I will just keep on keeping on in the yard. Got me a 3D deer for super cheap off sportsmansguide.com a while back...replaced two center cores already.
Thanks again y'all!

bulletbob

Banned Bob Here!
bulletbob here.Gave up my compound when I stopped bow hunting a few years ago.Last year I bought Mrs bullet and myself a couple of recurves to shoot for fun.She decided right away that was not her thing.I get so frustrated some days,I think I want my wheel bow back.I haven't quit yet but don't know how much more of this self abuse I can take.

oldguy

bulletbob here.Gave up my compound when I stopped bow hunting a few years ago.Last year I bought Mrs bullet and myself a couple of recurves to shoot for fun.She decided right away that was not her thing.I get so frustrated some days,I think I want my wheel bow back.I haven't quit yet but don't know how much more of this self abuse I can take.
You know somethings are just not for everybody, but if it's something you REALLY want to do it'll be worth the effort to master it. The first year I started practicing (shooting at a 3-D deer) I never knew where the arrow was gonna' hit at 10 yards - sometimes in the neck, sometimes in the butt, sometimes in the legs (actually shot the legs outta' that target!), and had NO idea why. Just get the arrow back, fuss and fume a little, shake it off and try again. And eventually it started coming together. Started shooting in Feb. and that fall killed 2. The sight of those fletchings disappearing into the rib cage and the sound of that arrow thumping on that first doe made it all worth it!
Three pieces of advice from a rookie (3 years) shooter: In the famous words of Coach Valvano "Don't give up! Don't ever give up!"
Shoot just one arrow from different positions at unknown distances over and over concentrating on form - stay close <15 yds.
Attend traditional archery shoots whenever you can - Support Group for the addiction!
Hope this helps. Good luck!

Cavalry Scout

I just got my Howatt back out after a couple of years, its addictive! I have really gotten better by watching some videos. My bow hand was wrong and my alignment was off. Working on back tension has really tuned me up! Actually shooting good out to 15 yards and even hitting the target at 20!! Practice!

Clipper

You've got to hold the bow right, have the right stance, grip the string right, and learn back tension. Your arrows also need to be spined properly for your bow, and your setup needs to be tuned right. I don't know how far you live from Marietta, but look up AL33 on this forum, send him a message and ask if you can come shoot with him some time. Al is a great fellow and will help you figure this out. You will be glad you did. Shooting a bow is hard to learn without some help, believe me, I know.